First firing Ruger SR556E -- very satisfied!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First firing Ruger SR556E -- very satisfied!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, as our President said, promises (like that I was done with this thread) are meant to be broken.

Candidly, the problems with the early M16s were exactly caused by the gas system. The DI system inflicts unacceptable stress upon the BCG group which has led to chronic failure on the battlefield. This is a well-documented fact. The additional fact that, at great expense, the Army overcame this inherent defect does not change the fact that the DI system is poor. Even ten years later, I witness the fact that a huge proportion of the US Army's peacetime M16s were rendered unserviceable due to the stress on the BCG by the DI system.

As far as smoothness goes, the piston system is well-established as providing for a softer recoil and thus better accuracy than the harsh, crude, DI system. That is also my personal experience. I will grant you that a DI rifle, all things being equal, is lighter. But this lightness comes at an unacceptable price, to wit: critical stressing of the operating system.

A "grown man" (MikeJK's condescending words, not mine) acknowledges problems. You are ignoring these problems in your unabashed advocacy of the DI system. The DI system is horribly abusive on the bolt carrier group. As I reported earlier, most of the M16s in USAREUR when I was there had chronic problems with the BCG due to the inherent abuse that the DI system inflicts upon this critical component group. One generation earlier, the M16s in Vietnam simply failed for the same reason. This is far from an endorsement of the DI system. These are facts. People are entitled to their own opinions, (i.e. which system "balances" better) etc. People are not entitled to their own facts. The failure of the M16 DI platform for decades is a well documented fact.

A DI gun can make a splendid range gun or hunting gun. Its inherently flawed design in a low duty-cycle environment does not preclude this. As a battle rifle, it is not the best choice. Or even a satisfactory one.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

no text. *delete*

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-28-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Well, as our President said, promises (like that I was done with this thread) are meant to be broken.

Candidly, the problems with the early M16s were exactly caused by the gas system. The DI system inflicts unacceptable stress upon the BCG group which has led to chronic failure on the battlefield. This is a well-documented fact. The additional fact that, at great expense, the Army overcame this inherent defect does not change the fact that the DI system is poor. Even ten years later, I witness the fact that a huge proportion of the US Army's peacetime M16s were rendered unserviceable due to the stress on the BCG by the DI system.

As far as smoothness goes, the piston system is well-established as providing for a softer recoil and thus better accuracy than the harsh, crude, DI system. That is also my personal experience. I will grant you that a DI rifle, all things being equal, is lighter. But this lightness comes at an unacceptable price, to wit: critical stressing of the operating system.

A "grown man" (MikeJK's condescending words, not mine) acknowledges problems. You are ignoring these problems in your unabashed advocacy of the DI system. The DI system is horribly abusive on the bolt carrier group. As I reported earlier, most of the M16s in USAREUR when I was there had chronic problems with the BCG due to the inherent abuse that the DI system inflicts upon this critical component group. One generation earlier, the M16s in Vietnam simply failed for the same reason. This is far from an endorsement of the DI system. These are facts. People are entitled to their own opinions, (i.e. which system "balances" better) etc. People are not entitled to their own facts. The failure of the M16 DI platform for decades is a well documented fact.

A DI gun can make a splendid range gun or hunting gun. Its inherently flawed design in a low duty-cycle environment does not preclude this. As a battle rifle, it is not the best choice. Or even a satisfactory one.
^ Full of fail. Your post is so full of fiction it could be a novel. If you want to believe what you are saying that is fine. I just hope someone doesn't come along and make the mistake of believing it.

If you don't want to take advice from those more experienced than you well then...

I'm bowing out of this one.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #24

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post

Boy you really bought into the piston hype didn't you! Very little truth in what you said. If so why not provide links to these "well-documented fact"(s) you speak of.

I'm glad you like your Ruger but you don't have to trash everything else to justify the extra expense. As far as a "battle rifle" it would be a horrible choice compared to the M16/M4 which overall has served admirably for 50 years.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
If you don't want to take advice from those more experienced than you well then...

I'm bowing out of this one.
Bowing out until the next thread comes along for you to hijack.

Hmmm. How did it come to pass that you have more experience than me? I've been shooting military rifles since 1971 and was responsible for maintenance of M16s for years. What I have done less than you is hang out on these silly gun forums.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Get back to the topic of redleg shooting his ruger.

If you want to argue di vs piston start a new thread but leave personal insults at the door. Present facts if your going that way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

bluez Likes This 
Closed Thread