Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First firing Ruger SR556E -- very satisfied!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First firing Ruger SR556E -- very satisfied!!

Finally got the new Ruger SR556E to the range today. Since forum posts seem to have a lot of complaints, I am pleased to be able to say that the SR556E functioned flawlessly. I put exactly 200 rounds through the rifle, and everything worked great.

Although I have fired a lot of M16s in my day, the SR556E was quite a surprise due to its piston operating system. I had fired some other piston rifles before, but not this one. The action when firing feels very smooth and imparts a "gentler" feel than the standard Direct Impingement system. The result was that I was able to achieve pretty OK groups for a rusty 58 year old codger. Shooting at 25 yards while shooting from the shoulder my groups were around 2.5 inches and a few were better than that. (OK, OK a few were worse too. Alright, more than a few. ) Naturally practice will better this. Overall I must say that I was pleased with the gentleness of the rifle. It performed beautifully.

I shot 3 different types of .223 ammo and all fired and ejected fine. I used three different brands of magazines and all were fine, and all held the bolt back when empty. Ejections were very consistent. I used setting 2 for all of the ammunition. I should have tried setting one but did not think about it.

By the way, my perception of the smooth action of the SR556 was not only mine. A couple of friends who had been firing a brand-new DI AR15 also fired my SR556 and made the same observation that I did about the smoothness of the rifle. One remarked that "my wife would like firing this gun."

The piston system sure beats the heck out of the DI system when it comes to cleaning. It only took a few minutes to clean the piston assembly. The bolt was almost pristine -- a gentle wipedown with CLP was all it needed. When I think of what my Army M16 was like after firing, particularly the bolt container group and chamber, I can really appreciate the piston system of the SR556E.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #2

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Nice report and I'm glad you like your new Ruger. This is the lighter version isn't it? I think most of the complaints about muzzle weight were for the original non-E version.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes. The SR556E does not have the quad rails and has a much slimmer forward profile. I like it that way and did not add the two side rails. I did add the lower rail so that I could add the forward grip. I had never shot with a forward grip before, but I find that I like it. I am a little guy (5'8") but I did not find the weight of the SR556E to be a problem. Back in my younger days I humped M14s around, so by comparison this was no problem.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Yes. The SR556E does not have the quad rails and has a much slimmer forward profile. I like it that way and did not add the two side rails. I did add the lower rail so that I could add the forward grip. I had never shot with a forward grip before, but I find that I like it. I am a little guy (5'8") but I did not find the weight of the SR556E to be a problem. Back in my younger days I humped M14s around, so by comparison this was no problem.
I also carried the M14 except when I was in Vietnam. Too heavy for me, I'll take a 6.5lb AR any day. (Well closer to 8lb when you add a sling and full magazine.)

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never understood the complaints, such a great gun. My friend has one and I shoot it anytime we go out. Very smooth, you will be happy for a long time to come!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's a balance thing. There are other, better balanced ARs on the market. When you really get using an AR balance makes a big difference. From a bench front heavy rifles work well but when slung, unsupported it is a detriment.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

are there more balanced AR's that share the same price bracket?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Less talk. More pron.

Any observations? Likes and dislikes?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The only thing is the price tag! Isn't that thing $1500 or so?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4473 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Never said my sr556 didnt function i can see it appears they riveted on the ff tube...

My complaint was i couldnt get that fftube off for maintenance and the weight for a 16" gun. It was also waaaay front heavy. Mine was to be used outdoors in dusty and sometimes wet conditions.

This meant i needed to get under the handguards and couldnt cuz it was roll pinned.

Glad you like it. Hope it works out for ya

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Closed Thread