First ever AR build finally completed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First ever AR build finally completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default First ever AR build finally completed

About this time last year I got the parts to build an AR. All but the receiver. Well I got a new job and moved to Michigan. I stopped in one day to pick up a lower and after paying for it and filling out all the paper work, they came bacck after the background check and said I couldn't get it because I had out out of state I'd and the lower could be built into a handgun. I could buy a completely build and ready to shoot AR, but not a lower... Makes no effen sense at all, but okay; whatever.
I finally got the lower yesterday and just got it put together. Haven't shot it yet but that's on my to-do list for this weekend.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Well done CJ, take her out and enjoy

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nice looking build man! How about some details for the curious? What parts did you use? What was easy and what was difficult for you?

Give us the blow by blow and maybe we can get you moved up to Sticky status for future new builders to the AR platform.

JD

Old 07-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

I'm no gun smith by any stretch of the imagination but I can't say that any off it was too difficult really. Just took a little time a forethought on how to get things to stay in while the next part went on.
Getting the detent pin in on the front pivot brought out a few expletives after I shot it around the room a few times. The only time it went real far was when it hit the TV but bounced right back to hit me in the chest and land on my lap. I ended up getting a motorcycle chain press tool that was about the same size as the hole, pushed the spring and pin down, put the press tool in from the other side, then pushed the pivot pin through to push out the press tool.
I lost the pin that holds the gas tube halfway down the barrel. It's currently not lined up perfectly. How important is that on an AR?
Other than that, nothing too special.
I got the DPMS kit from a guy I worked with for stupid cheap. The receiver is a cheap RGuns lower. I'm not doing competition shooting with it though so I don't need the best of the best.
That's about it though. I did spend several years putting together standardized work instructions for Toyota's productions lines though so no need for a sticky on this one. I can do something sticky worthy later. It'll break my heart to have to get another AR for that though. But hey; I'm a giver.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I'm no gun smith by any stretch of the imagination but I can't say that any off it was too difficult really. Just took a little time a forethought on how to get things to stay in while the next part went on.
Getting the detent pin in on the front pivot brought out a few expletives after I shot it around the room a few times.
You didn't read the stickies did you? Tisk, tisk, tisk

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #6

I looked at pictures. Didn't see a quick fix and went it alone

~George Washington

Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I looked at pictures. Didn't see a quick fix and went it alone
My AR458SOCOM Build, post #20, pic #4 - quick and simple method to prevent orbital launch of detent springs

another method is to use a large clear plastic bag over the assembly process

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #8

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Thanks Dog, nice to see your cheerleader back!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thanks Dog, nice to see your cheerleader back!
back when I lived in AZ i dated a girl who that looked just like her (at first i thought it was a picture of her )... man she was a lot of fun

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #10

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
back when I lived in AZ i dated a girl who that looked just like her (at first i thought it was a picture of her )... man she was a lot of fun
Why'dya move away!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.