Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First ever AR build finally completed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ever-ar-build-finally-completed-67765/)

CourtJester 07-06-2012 10:32 PM

First ever AR build finally completed

About this time last year I got the parts to build an AR. All but the receiver. Well I got a new job and moved to Michigan. I stopped in one day to pick up a lower and after paying for it and filling out all the paper work, they came bacck after the background check and said I couldn't get it because I had out out of state I'd and the lower could be built into a handgun. I could buy a completely build and ready to shoot AR, but not a lower... Makes no effen sense at all, but okay; whatever.
I finally got the lower yesterday and just got it put together. Haven't shot it yet but that's on my to-do list for this weekend.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...d/IMG_1020.jpg

dog2000tj 07-06-2012 10:48 PM

Well done CJ, take her out and enjoy :)

Dillinger 07-06-2012 11:02 PM

Nice looking build man! How about some details for the curious? What parts did you use? What was easy and what was difficult for you?

Give us the blow by blow and maybe we can get you moved up to Sticky status for future new builders to the AR platform. ;)

JD

CourtJester 07-07-2012 12:06 AM

I'm no gun smith by any stretch of the imagination but I can't say that any off it was too difficult really. Just took a little time a forethought on how to get things to stay in while the next part went on.
Getting the detent pin in on the front pivot brought out a few expletives after I shot it around the room a few times. The only time it went real far was when it hit the TV but bounced right back to hit me in the chest and land on my lap. I ended up getting a motorcycle chain press tool that was about the same size as the hole, pushed the spring and pin down, put the press tool in from the other side, then pushed the pivot pin through to push out the press tool.
I lost the pin that holds the gas tube halfway down the barrel. It's currently not lined up perfectly. How important is that on an AR?
Other than that, nothing too special.
I got the DPMS kit from a guy I worked with for stupid cheap. The receiver is a cheap RGuns lower. I'm not doing competition shooting with it though so I don't need the best of the best.
That's about it though. I did spend several years putting together standardized work instructions for Toyota's productions lines though so no need for a sticky on this one. I can do something sticky worthy later. It'll break my heart to have to get another AR for that though. But hey; I'm a giver.

dog2000tj 07-07-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester (Post 861666)
I'm no gun smith by any stretch of the imagination but I can't say that any off it was too difficult really. Just took a little time a forethought on how to get things to stay in while the next part went on.
Getting the detent pin in on the front pivot brought out a few expletives after I shot it around the room a few times.

You didn't read the stickies did you? :confused: Tisk, tisk, tisk :rolleyes:

CourtJester 07-07-2012 01:32 AM

I looked at pictures. Didn't see a quick fix and went it alone

dog2000tj 07-07-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester (Post 861791)
I looked at pictures. Didn't see a quick fix and went it alone

My AR458SOCOM Build, post #20, pic #4 - quick and simple method to prevent orbital launch of detent springs ;)

another method is to use a large clear plastic bag over the assembly process ;)

Quentin 07-07-2012 05:09 AM

Thanks Dog, nice to see your cheerleader back! :D

dog2000tj 07-07-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 862046)
Thanks Dog, nice to see your cheerleader back! :D

back when I lived in AZ i dated a girl who that looked just like her (at first i thought it was a picture of her :eek: )... man she was a lot of fun :D

Quentin 07-07-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 862114)
back when I lived in AZ i dated a girl who that looked just like her (at first i thought it was a picture of her :eek: )... man she was a lot of fun :D

Why'dya move away! :D