First complete AR build...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First complete AR build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 348 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default First complete AR build...

I've put together my first complete AR and I'm having an issue with it not cycling, my hunch is that the gas system is not functioning correctly. Is there a way to know if the gas block is correctly aligned, there doesn't seem to be much room for error!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Ironhorse,
We will need more information. Explain just what is occurring. And if you can send us some pictures of the rifle. Did you buy a complete barrel and upper receiver assembly for example of what we need. Does it extract and eject the spent casing? Things of that nature.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-07-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did you put the upper together entirely? You asked about the gas block, so I was just wondering.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

ADDITIONAL!

If you put a gas block on the barrel here is an easy way to assure you have not blocked part of the Gas Port Hole off while assembling leveling and and tightening the gas block on the barrel. You can also use this method to check. I use a large paper clip. Straighten it out completely. Then bend one end of the paper clip in an L shape with the bent portion being about 3/8 of an inch long. Place it through the Gas Block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port on the barrel. Tape the long end of the clip to the barrel and leave it there until the gas block has finished being installed. Then remove it an install the gas tube. This guarantees there is no obstruction of the gas port. You can also check yours by removing the gas tube and using the paperclip method. If you can not insert the 3/8 " end of the large paper clip into the gas port you have it blocked. Let us know if that is the problem and we will go from there!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
ADDITIONAL!

If you put a gas block on the barrel here is an easy way to assure you have not blocked part of the Gas Port Hole off while assembling leveling and and tightening the gas block on the barrel. You can also use this method to check. I use a large paper clip. Straighten it out completely. Then bend one end of the paper clip in an L shape with the bent portion being about 3/8 of an inch long. Place it through the Gas Block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port on the barrel. Tape the long end of the clip to the barrel and leave it there until the gas block has finished being installed. Then remove it an install the gas tube. This guarantees there is no obstruction of the gas port. You can also check yours by removing the gas tube and using the paperclip method. If you can not insert the 3/8 " end of the large paper clip into the gas port you have it blocked. Let us know if that is the problem and we will go from there!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get back home, the bolt operation seems fine as it feeds and fires and ejects manualy without issue. The upper itself is a 24" flat top with a 1:8 twist chrome molly, chromed bolt, parts are from Model 1 sales and JSE...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Did you put the upper together entirely? You asked about the gas block, so I was just wondering.
Yup, assembled everything but the bolt...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Replaced the gas block and she fires like a champ! I'll try and attach a pic...

image-2319307531.jpg  

Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My next question, is there a way to remove the slop between the upper and lower? There's a very slight movement / twist in the fit that I'd like to remove?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nice looking AR!

Check out Accu Wedge. Cheap band-aid fix. A little slop is not really going to hurt anything, but try that part if it annoys you.

How's she shoot?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Didn't have time to dial it in, just wanted to see if it would keep up with my finger!