Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First complete AR build... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-complete-ar-build-62006/)

Ironhorse944 04-07-2012 01:05 AM

First complete AR build...

I've put together my first complete AR and I'm having an issue with it not cycling, my hunch is that the gas system is not functioning correctly. Is there a way to know if the gas block is correctly aligned, there doesn't seem to be much room for error!

Sniper03 04-07-2012 01:16 AM

Ironhorse,
We will need more information. Explain just what is occurring. And if you can send us some pictures of the rifle. Did you buy a complete barrel and upper receiver assembly for example of what we need. Does it extract and eject the spent casing? Things of that nature.
:)

BenLuby 04-07-2012 01:21 AM

Did you put the upper together entirely? You asked about the gas block, so I was just wondering.

Sniper03 04-07-2012 01:34 AM

ADDITIONAL!

If you put a gas block on the barrel here is an easy way to assure you have not blocked part of the Gas Port Hole off while assembling leveling and and tightening the gas block on the barrel. You can also use this method to check. I use a large paper clip. Straighten it out completely. Then bend one end of the paper clip in an L shape with the bent portion being about 3/8 of an inch long. Place it through the Gas Block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port on the barrel. Tape the long end of the clip to the barrel and leave it there until the gas block has finished being installed. Then remove it an install the gas tube. This guarantees there is no obstruction of the gas port. You can also check yours by removing the gas tube and using the paperclip method. If you can not insert the 3/8 " end of the large paper clip into the gas port you have it blocked. Let us know if that is the problem and we will go from there!

Ironhorse944 04-07-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 764033)
ADDITIONAL!

If you put a gas block on the barrel here is an easy way to assure you have not blocked part of the Gas Port Hole off while assembling leveling and and tightening the gas block on the barrel. You can also use this method to check. I use a large paper clip. Straighten it out completely. Then bend one end of the paper clip in an L shape with the bent portion being about 3/8 of an inch long. Place it through the Gas Block where the gas tube goes and down into the gas port on the barrel. Tape the long end of the clip to the barrel and leave it there until the gas block has finished being installed. Then remove it an install the gas tube. This guarantees there is no obstruction of the gas port. You can also check yours by removing the gas tube and using the paperclip method. If you can not insert the 3/8 " end of the large paper clip into the gas port you have it blocked. Let us know if that is the problem and we will go from there!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get back home, the bolt operation seems fine as it feeds and fires and ejects manualy without issue. The upper itself is a 24" flat top with a 1:8 twist chrome molly, chromed bolt, parts are from Model 1 sales and JSE...

Ironhorse944 04-07-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 764023)
Did you put the upper together entirely? You asked about the gas block, so I was just wondering.

Yup, assembled everything but the bolt...

Ironhorse944 04-09-2012 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the gas block and she fires like a champ! I'll try and attach a pic...

Ironhorse944 04-09-2012 10:12 PM

My next question, is there a way to remove the slop between the upper and lower? There's a very slight movement / twist in the fit that I'd like to remove?

AgentTikki 04-09-2012 10:18 PM

Nice looking AR!

Check out Accu Wedge. Cheap band-aid fix. A little slop is not really going to hurt anything, but try that part if it annoys you.

How's she shoot?

Ironhorse944 04-10-2012 12:07 AM

Didn't have time to dial it in, just wanted to see if it would keep up with my finger!