Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First build started! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-build-started-69088/)

powell0892 07-27-2012 05:18 PM

First build started!

So after talking to all of you guys and reading and talking some more, I have decided to take the plunge. Originally the wife told me to go ahead and build my lower and then wait until christmas for the upper, well she then decided that it was best that I go ahead and get the upper now since elections will be right around the corner in december and after what happen in colorado it kind of worries us. So she told me to go ahead with all of it and of course I did not argue, so here goes!

CMMG lower (wanted a spikes but grew impatient, may pick one up later )
PSA LPK w/ MOE goodies
Magpul STR
BCM BCG
BCM BFH 16" mid-length lightweight
BCM Gunfighter
Spikes ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
MOE Mid-length handguard (ran out of money for quad)
Magpul AFG2
Vortex Sparc

I already have all of my lower and Vortex. I will be building the lower tomorrow and will post pics when I am done. We are leaving on vacation early part of next week so I am waiting to order my upper, I should have it all by the 1st or 2nd week in August and will post pics and keep you updated. Thanks for all of your help I would have never been brave enough to build one without all of yall. Feel free to throw any suggestions my way, thanks again for all the help!

GaMatt72 07-27-2012 05:36 PM

Sweet cant wait to see pics.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-27-2012 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Congrats on the build. Sound like a nice set up. Just like you I get static from the old lady about my misappropriation of funds towards my toys. I sneak in a part or two every payday. Just down to the barrel assembly now. Need barrel , gas, and quad. I got some unknown funds(to her) coming that should help me finish. can't wait to see your build.

Quentin 07-27-2012 09:13 PM

That's going to be a great build, powell, geat part selection! A lot like my recent build and JonM's. Gotta love a BCM middy!

powell0892 07-27-2012 11:11 PM

Quick question I just realized that my Magpul STR supposedly has a QD for slings how does this work? And where is it? I dont want to have to buy a sling mount if I dont need to.

okdonk 07-27-2012 11:34 PM

The STR has the hole thingy.. but you still have to get the actual QD swivel. It costs around $10-15 on average. I just bought one by Troy's for $15 at my LGS. Or you can just get a Magpul MS3 QD version which is a newly released.

powell0892 07-28-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk
The STR has the hole thingy.. but you still have to get the actual QD swivel. It costs around $10-15 on average. I just bought one by Troy's for $15 at my LGS. Or you can just get a Magpul MS3 QD version which is a newly released.

Cool stuff thanks donk, think I will try out the ms3 qd.

Quentin 07-28-2012 02:52 AM

My STR came with the QD mount on the left side. It is reversible.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-28-2012 05:32 PM

Damn guys,

I have theSTR and didn't even notice that. Now I need a QD. Thanks for pulling my head out............

powell0892 07-28-2012 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is.....