Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Build- RRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 8

Default First Build- RRA

Hey fellas,

Got my RRA stripped lower a few weeks ago and I'm ready to undertake my first build. I know given the current market this will be a long time going but figured I'd update the post as the build progressed.

I have already ordered RRA Lower Receiver Kit and RRA A4 Flattop Stripped Upper. The wife was bugging me tonight for a Valentines gift idea so I sent her the link to RRA six position Tactical Stock (Green).

Planning Red-dot sight w flip up irons.

Any suggestions on barrel/ forend pieces? Haven't seen many forends in green that I liked.

Sorry if my terminology sucks. New to the game.

forumrunner_20130208_232854.jpg

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Haven't built one my self but I really like the looks of and functionality of the magpul angled forgrip. Probably going with a chrome lined lightweight 1:9 or 1:8 16" barrel and smith vortex. Seams practical to me. can I ask where you got your rra stuff? I'd like a majority of their product on my rifle

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

What do you intend to use the rifle for? You need to give it a lot of thought now before getting a barrel, etc.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Haven't built one my self but I really like the looks of and functionality of the magpul angled forgrip. Probably going with a chrome lined lightweight 1:9 or 1:8 16" barrel and smith vortex. Seams practical to me. can I ask where you got your rra stuff? I'd like a majority of their product on my rifle
The barrel sounds pretty dang close to what I want. It's just the furniture that keeps hanging me up.

I found the lower about a month ago at a local pawn shop and snatched it up. As far as the upper/ LPK goes, a few weeks ago RRA was still taking orders for these on their website.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
What do you intend to use the rifle for? You need to give it a lot of thought now before getting a barrel, etc.
Well, I already have a Colt A2 ST, so I figured I'd make this one into a semi-close quarters gun, home defense, SHTF, etc. I like the way a lot of the DD rail/ barrel assemblies look but I don't really want to take out a second mortgage for the gun (sarcasm). I'm willing to wait and save for a good product but where do you draw the line?

I like the idea of having everything Mil-spec but there is no real reason why. From what i gather on the sticky 1:7 twist is the only Mil-spec barrel right? At most a thousand rounds a year, is chrome lined really necessary? verwhelmed:

Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I would consider a 1:7 barrel but from what I've read, they don't do the 40gr rounds very well so it kinda ruled it out for me. I just figured the chrome lining is worth it to me just simply for ease of cleaning. I won't shoot out a barrel any tine soon.... So rra is still taking orders? I'm pretty sure they're out of lowers and won't answer phones. Might have to mix in some bcm and psa to finish the rifle . Thanks for the info though

Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #7

Well fellas,

Was very excited to see the UPS man today. Got my RRA LPK and spent the next 2 1/2 hours installing (I'll pause for your laugh)...... For the rookies out there like me here's a few things I learned.

1. Brownells and Youtube are top notch resources to guide you.
2. EYE PROTECTION!!! I say this because I launched a detent across the room and it could have easily took an eye out were it facing me.
3. Have the Right Tools! - I tried to do this with Screwdrivers and a Butter Knife. While I succeeded in my task it would have been much easier with some punches, etc.
4. Be Patient - Remember you are doing this because you enjoy it. If you get aggravated take a break, say a prayer (my remedy), have a drink. Whatever helps you relax.

If this rookie can do it anyone can! I have zero experience with building guns so take on the challenge if it interests you.

Now I'm waiting for my Tactical Stock and Flat Top Upper. Will update accordingly.

Lastly, I ordered my LPK about a month ago from RRA so you're if you're patient you can still get stuff.

forumrunner_20130221_223740.jpg

Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #8

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfisher247
Well fellas,

Was very excited to see the UPS man today. Got my RRA LPK and spent the next 2 1/2 hours installing (I'll pause for your laugh)...... For the rookies out there like me here's a few things I learned.

1. Brownells and Youtube are top notch resources to guide you.
2. EYE PROTECTION!!! I say this because I launched a detent across the room and it could have easily took an eye out were it facing me.
3. Have the Right Tools! - I tried to do this with Screwdrivers and a Butter Knife. While I succeeded in my task it would have been much easier with some punches, etc.
4. Be Patient - Remember you are doing this because you enjoy it. If you get aggravated take a break, say a prayer (my remedy), have a drink. Whatever helps you relax.

If this rookie can do it anyone can! I have zero experience with building guns so take on the challenge if it interests you.

Now I'm waiting for my Tactical Stock and Flat Top Upper. Will update accordingly.

Lastly, I ordered my LPK about a month ago from RRA so you're if you're patient you can still get stuff.
We all got to start sometime! At least your learning. One you build one , you will not stop. I will not buy a production AR. You can always build better.