Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first build on order!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If its 14:5 you have to have a flashhider or muzzlebreak pined or welded to the barrel to make it 16

Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
If I don't like the barrel I can always just get a new one right ? And how is it legal to own a 14.5" barrel?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\
Yes, the barrels are self headspacing and fairly easy to change.

As Macon said, you have a muzzle device pinned that brings the length to over 16.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #23

Any real change in accuracy or anything?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #24

Chance in accuracy between what?

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #25

14.5 or 16"

Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #26

No, just a slight velocity drop.

Barrel length doesn't have much of an effect on accuracy. If anything, shorter barrels are more accurate because they're slightly stiffer. This of course isn't true in the really heavy profile barrels.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a 223 its average about 80 fps per inch

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #28

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I agree with what Fred said about LW vs. govt profile - the LW is much more maneuverable and you will notice a big difference because of balance more than the 6 oz. Even though the govt profile is more popular it's mainly because people don't compare the two. Take a look at pictures of the two profiles and you'll see that the govt is thinnest under the handguards and thick out past them. If you think about it, that makes no sense, except for the stories of GIs using their barrels as crowbars.

Sorry, the DD sales guy is wrong and many people in the know are demanding LW more and more every day (which is probably WHY the LWs are OOS). I suspect MJ will be chiming in soon as he has definite opinions on this too.

Don't get me wrong, buying the govt profile isn't wrong for everyone but try to get to a gun shop NOW and compare the two profiles.

As far as 14.5 vs. 16: there is a definite advantage to the shorter length IF you're 100% certain which muzzle device you want and will never change it. You do end up with a longer barrel with 16" + MD but the muzzle is threaded and you can make changes easily since the MD is not permanently pinned. I've gone with 16" on both my ARs but many go the other way.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Removing the weight from the end of the barrel makes a noticeable difference, it's a balance thing. If you don't get the LW now you will eventually

A 16" might be best for now because of the reasons listed above.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #30

Okay okay...on my way right now to change my order. I found a V5 LW online for less that I was paying originally. So this is all turning out pretty good. Thanks for the heads up guys.