first build on order! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first build on order!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cool, figured you knew but wanted to make sure. If you're anything like me you don't get a whole lot of do overs due to funds.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Are you going to be wearing the sling for extended periods of time? If you are you may want to take a closer look at the Magpul sling.

mjkeat,

I am looking at a few tac slings. who makes the 3 point slings that we were issued? i am sure you guys got the same ones that we had. I really liked them they were wide and heavy duty web nylon. Do you know of any other slings out there that are made like that. all of the ones i have seen have been thin and flimsy.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Cool, figured you knew but wanted to make sure. If you're anything like me you don't get a whole lot of do overs due to funds.
Thanks for the warning though. Yeah, I know what you mean on the whole funds deal. Working only 24 hours a week and going to college doesn't make for a ton of extra money.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay so I've changed from LW to standard as DD notified me that it would be a while on the LW. So since I'd already ordered everything else, I went ahead and got what I could get right now....impatient I know. The DD salesman said I would notice no difference.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
The DD salesman said I would notice no difference.
I would shop around on some other sites and look for the LW upper elsewhere. You will notice a difference. It's not the difference in weight that you're going for, but the lightweight barrel does make a noticeable difference in the balance of the rifle. This causes the rifle to feel much lighter than it actually is, makes it swing quicker and easier, and make holding the rifle with your firing hand only during reloads and such much easier.

My rifle now is a 16 inch M4 profile, and I wish I had gone with a LW. My next rifle is going to be a 14.5 LW.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Really? Over 6 oz. ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #17

According to DD's site, there is a 6.5 oz difference. Now it may not sound like much, but if you held the two rifles you would be amazed at how big of a difference it can make.

You've got to think, that's almost half a pound, and it out past the fulcrum point of the rifle, which is your hand on the grip. Not to mention, govt profile barrels are very front heavy as it is.

Is there a shop near you that sells ARs? If so, I would really encourage you to go there a hold a few different rifles, preferably ones that are different lengths and have different barrel profiles. You'll see what I'm talking about.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7
According to DD's site, there is a 6.5 oz difference. Now it may not sound like much, but if you held the two rifles you would be amazed at how big of a difference it can make.

You've got to think, that's almost half a pound, and it out past the fulcrum point of the rifle, which is your hand on the grip. Not to mention, govt profile barrels are very front heavy as it is.

Is there a shop near you that sells ARs? If so, I would really encourage you to go there a hold a few different rifles, preferably ones that are different lengths and have different barrel profiles. You'll see what I'm talking about.

-Fred
So why would they even make a standard, why aren't all the barrels LW? If there is such an advantage?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124

So why would they even make a standard, why aren't all the barrels LW? If there is such an advantage?

There are advantages to heavier barrels. The only one that comes to mind is accuracy once the barrel heats up, but you won't notice much difference going from govt to LW, and that can be fixed other ways, such as having the barrel cryoed.

Other people may know some of the other advantages/disadvantages, but that's the only one I know of.

For me and my purpose for the rifle, LW is my preference. If I'm gonna be doing any rapid long range stuff, it's not gonna be with a 16" AR.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I don't like the barrel I can always just get a new one right ? And how is it legal to own a 14.5" barrel?