Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Build Here, Am I Missing Anything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

You seem to be missing a Bayonet.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #12

Ive been looking through instructions trying to pinpoint where I start having problems. It seems like everything works right until I install the hammer. I noticed with the hammer in, it is pressed tight against the bolt catch, tight enough where the bolt catch will not even shut freely as the instructions said it should. With the hammer in, the trigger acts like the safety is on, even when it is set to fire and the selector wont budge. Without the hammer, the trigger moves freely as I would think it should and the selector can easily be switched from safe to fire. From what Ive read, when the hammer is upright and the trigger is pulled, the hammer should move some?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
Ive been looking through instructions trying to pinpoint where I start having problems. It seems like everything works right until I install the hammer. I noticed with the hammer in, it is pressed tight against the bolt catch, tight enough where the bolt catch will not even shut freely as the instructions said it should. With the hammer in, the trigger acts like the safety is on, even when it is set to fire and the selector wont budge. Without the hammer, the trigger moves freely as I would think it should and the selector can easily be switched from safe to fire. From what Ive read, when the hammer is upright and the trigger is pulled, the hammer should move some?
Id remove the trigger group and selector then reinstall.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Fightin,

It is my thought the problem that you are experiencing is not a new one. Most of the time it is caused by tolerances on the rear of the trigger or tolerance with the safety selector. When you install the trigger it forces the front of the trigger down slightly and causes the rear of the trigger to amplify the tolerance problem and locks things up. If you wish give me a call at 1-888-222-0043 and I can explain in detail. Or if you have a friend that has a single stage unit in his or her weapon switch out the trigger and selector and the problem should go away. Obviously it is hard to be positive without having the weapon to inspect and look at. But I truly believe this is your problem and it is a solvable issue as frustrating as it seems.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #15

I tried removing and reinstalling with no luck. I'm planning on taking it in to get checked out later today, so I guess worst case I'll have to buy a new trigger assembly?

While I'm there, what do y'all recommend to buy for cleaning? I already picked up some of the G-96 that was recommended.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fightin,

At least try another one
The funny thing about this is that the tolerance I was speaking about only has to very a few thousandths of an inch. It could very well work in another AR we have seen this before. It is the match between the Trigger and the Selector normally. Another thing is you can mark the sides and the to edge of the trigger with tool makers die and see where the strike is. But going the direction you are heading is the best way to handle this. If the new trigger does not do it change out the selector it could have a defective tolerance on one of the machined grooves in it. One thing I did not mention be sure your disconector is straight and with no burrs. But I am betting on the Trigger and or Selector. Good Luck and let me know!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #17

Sniper, you nailed it. I took it in, and they let me try out a different trigger which worked flawlessly. I didnt buy the parts there, but they were nice enough to swap out the triggers for me at no charge. They said it just didnt match up right with my receiver, but they would still be able to use it.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fightin,

That is good! That is what most of us are on the forum for. To learn ourselves and to help. It is our pleasure when we can assist. I am very glad you found it and now the frustration has ended! Have Fun with that new rifle!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #20

I want to thank everyone for all of the help/advice. The rifle shoots great. I have final exams this week, so I only had time to put a few rounds through it. I havent even tried adjusting the sights yet (shoots low and to the left), but after exams are done I will have pics up.