first build first question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first build first question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default first build first question

Came across a place here in houston called SOG armory and they planted the seed of building the AR i cant afford to buy.. So i have bought a military spec Aero Percision assembled lower and as long as i continiue to not smoke the ole lady gonna allow me to keep buying parts.. I guessing this is gonna take me a good 6mths to complete as i aquire i little extra money here and there. The next thing i plan on putting on it is a nice telscoping stock then get started on the upper reciver. My first question is as i read threw everyone elses post it seems to be the norm to buy a complete upper, is there a reason for that i was planning on buy stripped upper reciever and putting it together a little at a time wit the help of the guys at SOG who said they teach me what i need to know and assemble parts for me if needed and $400 for a complete upper is rarly in my funds..

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I would say most buy a complete upper for the convenience of it. Depending on what you are looking for sometimes is hard to beat the complete upper pricing even when shopping around for parts.

If you feel the urge by all means go for it and please keep us updated with you progress

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plenty of new and used uppers can be had with a little bit of homework.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am a great example of finding a nice, lightly used higher end upper at a great price. I searched and waited until I came across a $475 complete upper from BCM. It even had a $155 muzzle brake already pinned, Magpul hand guard, and a Gunfighter charging handle. Just those 3 items would have cost me roughly $300+. The upper itself, which was out of stock, w/o bolt carrier group would have ran $399 plus shipping. As you can see I still am tickled about it

I'm guessing all said and done it would have ran me over $800 w/ shipping and who knows how long it would have taken for it to become available on their site. After all that I would have had to send it off to have the muzzle devise pinned so there's another 3 weeks probably.

The original owner had documented his usage in a thread on the forum and was a respected member so I felt comfortable.

My point is take your time and keep your eyes open. Save up some money and sit on it until you come across a "deal". They are definitely out there.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Nothing wrong with building your upper if that's what you want and it doesn't end up costing you more, which it easily could. You can split up the cost of an upper by buying a barreled receiver then getting the BCG, charging handle, handguards/rail, sights later. If you're not doing anything special then standard tools in the garage can do the job. Or as you said you could buy the stripped upper and install everything, your call.

I'd use this time to research ARs and parts. Zero in on exactly what you want and what your needs are. I'd be suspicious of SOG, they're in this to make money and you really don't need them. If they offer sage advice and are good armorers then maybe their charges are worth it. But there's a greater chance that you'd do a better job yourself if you do your homework. In the end you're building your rifle so scrutinize everyone else's opinion, including mine.

Good thing you're quitting smoking, once you catch the black rifle disease you can't afford another addiction!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Man, that was a good deal, MJ! And for top quality, too. Goes to show how patience can save you big. And knowing when to jump on a deal.

Add that to the Smartgunner deal a year ago and you've had a great year AR-wise!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quentin is correct about doing your research. It's really not hard and only requires time, an INTERNET connection, and well the ability to distinguish who's full of crap and who isn't.

Proper tools make it a lot easier but other than a AR wrench I have never used the proper tools. I'm sure there's a "tools you'll need" thread but a good multi purpose AR wrench, rubber mallet, and a good brass punch set is all you'll technically need.

A great source for parts is Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts and Accessories. You can pick up a $99 mil spec BCG and low cost upper receiver, not to mention a decent barrel for $179.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

damn i didnt expect that many responses so quikly. Got lots of time to decide whats next if i find it online or threw SOG.. nie thing about SOG is they got all the parts from full uppers to striped uppers and everything to go with em right there in store and i cant put my eyes and my hands on it before i buy plus they said if i buy from them the will help install for free Sure there better prices online but being able to walk in and get face to face help counts..

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 12-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26 View Post
damn i didnt expect that many responses so quikly. Got lots of time to decide whats next if i find it online or threw SOG.. nie thing about SOG is they got all the parts from full uppers to striped uppers and everything to go with em right there in store and i cant put my eyes and my hands on it before i buy plus they said if i buy from them the will help install for free Sure there better prices online but being able to walk in and get face to face help counts..
Do they "make" their own parts or are they name brand parts?

When I hear/see SOG I think knifes. I don't know if it's the same company but the SOG I know makes nice knifes.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

I'd also like to hear more about their parts. If you don't know what you're getting ... well you're gonna get it.

______