Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Build - finally on the move

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho
Looks awesome LongBaller!

How "blemished" was the PSA lower?

Just curious how much you save on the blem version and if you really notice any difference...looks great in the pics!
Thanks, Zeus!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longballer71
The lower is as perfect as any non blems I've seen in the shops. Saw one "rub" mark, but it came off with a wipe down. Very happy and will be ordering more for sure!!"
I could barely find any mark, much less a "blem". I am very impressed and satisfied with that lower.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Oh cool, don't know how I missed your comment on the blem lower. That's great though that it looked so good!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho
Oh cool, don't know how I missed your comment on the blem lower. That's great though that it looked so good!
No worries! I am pretty psyched about it. Being my first build, I'm still learning exactly what I want and what stuff is really better and provides improvements and what just costs more. Are there better lowers? Oh, I'm sure of it; but for what you get and for the price ... doubt it very much!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71

No worries! I am pretty psyched about it. Being my first build, I'm still learning exactly what I want and what stuff is really better and provides improvements and what just costs more. Are there better lowers? Oh, I'm sure of it; but for what you get and for the price ... doubt it very much!
They are all about the same. As long as it's MilSpec than you are good to go. Some of us paying for more, cos of the rollmark or brand, including myself But the PSA blemished lower is a very very dang good deal.
I placed an order of the PSA blemished too last night. Can't wait for it.

Edited*
Check out Spike's lowers. They do have nice rollmark designs and costs only $80-90. Put yourself on Joeboboutfitters and Aimsurplus email notifications.

Last edited by okdonk; 10-18-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk

They are all about the same. As long as it's MilSpec than you are good to go. Some of us paying for more, cos of the rollmark or brand, including myself But the PSA blemished lower is a very very dang good deal.
I placed an order of the PSA blemished too last night. Can't wait for it.

Edited*
Check out Spike's lowers. They do have nice rollmark designs and costs only $80-90. Put yourself on Joeboboutfitters and Aimsurplus email notifications.
Thx sir.

I do like roll marks as well. Definitely see a Noveske & Seekins at some point down the road.

I actually have a Spikes pirate lower coming soon. Not sure what upper is next though. Dedicated 22lr perhaps.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #46

I took the AR out to the farm with us yesterday. My FIL brought his SKS and a Ruger single six 22 for my son to shoot.

We set up our target at 50 yds down across the pond levee. I then set up our position atop the levee with a couple chairs; being able to use the seat back of one as a gun rest.

I wanted to get this thing tested and sighted in, but we were going to be short on time, and I realized after getting to the farm that we lacked the right supplies to build our shooting bench I had drawn up. Next trip I'll know what to have with me.

I started with TulAmo in a 30rd Pmag. First three shot group came out clean and smooth. About a 2-3" group, but almost 15" left & 6" high from my aiming point. I've got the KonusPro scope mounted on 1" rings. I removed the caps to start adjustments; looks like each click is 1/4 @ 100 yds. Next 6 rounds were close to the same after trying to adjust the scope in slowly. At that point I started to get multiple FTF in a row.

So now the focus went from sighting to malfunction checking. I switched to a Tapco mag with TulAmo next. A few less FTF but still nearly every other round.

The FTFs are happening as the bolt is closing after the firing and extraction of the previous round. The bolt closes all the way each time, but is not catching the next round being pushed up from the mag. It's hard to tell if its the mag spring is not pushing the rounds up enough or whether the bolt is short stroking.

I did notice that after 15-20 rds of this, my castle nut was breaking loose just a bit. I can't see that in itself causing the FTF, but it is an issue. I'll have it torqued better and then staked this time.

Three things I can think of to check first:

Buffer spring length - if its too long
Mag springs - not pushing rounds up enough
Bolt has tube connection - not properly set

What else should I be looking for?

I'll be headed to the real range on Friday to set up and try again. I'll use different mags and also try some different ammo. I've got some Federal American Eagle to try.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #47

Buffer weight - 2.95 oz.
Buffer spring length - 11 1/8"

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #48

Finally got a couple hours of range time this morn'. Really wanted to iron out the kinks and see if I could get the dang this sighted in.

Temp - 56*F
Wind - 5-7 SE

Set up on the new bi-pod. Running TulAmmo & American Eagle 55 gr out of the Pmag. 25 yds.

First few shots were really high, but close to the center line. Next I moved to the center, then lower left for 3 each. I felt like I was getting on dialed in on the lower right side. There's 9 in that group, so I'm pretty happy at this stage.

Through these, and another 2 mags of Remington & Tulammo, I had zero failures. Ran like a top. THAT really made me happy.

Name:  image-2456831821.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  34.7 KB
Name:  image-432380943.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  31.2 KB

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Last edited by LongBaller71; 11-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.