First Build - finally on the move - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First Build - finally on the move

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1293 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
1-4x or red dot, red dot or halo, cheaper or break the bank? Aaaahhhh!! Sucks that I haven't used a scope in 30 years. (yes that's sad I know)
You need one with a red dot and at least one with a scope.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #12

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Id start out with a bushnell elite 4x32 or a meprolight m21

forumrunner_20120915_200009.jpg

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Thx!

I'd say you guys did well! I've been reading and re-reading that group of stickies for days. SO glad there were so many well thought out and written threads. Definitely helps us not-so-organized folks out a ton.
I might have been the sponsor that started some of it, but there were a ton of contributors over the years from where we started.

RL357Mag was a big supporter of understanding the weapon especially in the early days. He was a great guy to have involved.

Dgunsmith was here in the early days as well and had a lot of advice that was given out just for the taking.

slowryde45 was awesome! That guy knew the AR platform like nobodies business and he was always on line with new deals on parts, or knew of a small shop that was having a sale. He was a consummate professional member who never poo-poo'd anyone's choices, he just steered them towards making better ones. I really miss him, he was a great resource and he really knew his sh*t.

junho806 was a college kid who was one of the first people I sponsored here. He went from knowing nothing except he wanted an AR, to building his own and posting tons of information about who he did business with, what he liked, what he didn't and really helped people understand that this platform really isn't that complicated.

Canebrake - as always, came along and helped raise the bar a little further. Helped educate and back up good information with science and hands on experience.

dog2000tj jumped on board and built one, then went on to be one of the first to build a .458 Socom version and test it for us. That opened a lot of eyes!

A lot of people contributed a lot to help breakdown the myths of some of the other black gun sites that insist if you didn't take a second mortgage on your house when you bought the damn thing, it was going leave you dead in a ditch.

I love how many home assembly "builds" we have inspired here. It's a great source of pride that we were able to help people get what they wanted without going broke unnecessarily.

JD
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #14

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

While I had just a few minutes, I wanted to post a little on the parts I've got again, and the company that I dealt with. * Haven't done anything quite like this so be patient. * Hope it's useful to at least someone out there. *

Upper Receiver:

DTI Del-ton 5.56 ~ This is a flat top style T-marked upper. The fabrication looks to be pretty good. Inspecting the inside found no burrs or signs of cutting corners. Something that was an initial concern given its lower end price point. The charging handle is basic and nothing special, but fits perfectly and functions. The installed ejection port cover and forward assist are the same; basic but perfectly functional. The integrated T-marked flat top rail is nicely finished and will suit my needs much better than one with a carry handle.

The BCG is an M-16 mil-spec model. Super clean and well made. Was coated heavily in oil but that's how it should be new.

The barrel is a DTI branded 16" lightweight chrome moly with a 1x9 twist. From what I've read here and other sites, it's probably manufactured by FN. Looks like it should serve its purpose well. There is a YHM 5C2 Phantom flash hider installed. Looks much better than the basic A2 and YHM seems to make good quality stuff.

The hand guard is a Midwest Industries Gen2 Slim SS 12 free floating mid length. Really cool and well put together unit. Full length flat top rail with painted T-marks. The design is set with a huge number of locations to add additional rail pieces to suit just about any need or want. This one came with 3 3" pieces already installed at the 3-6-9 positions toward the muzzle end of the guard. They all look easy to move, but probably in just the right spot for a light and a fore grip.

The last additions are the folding front and rear sights by CAA. These look to be pretty decent quality; although they are not metal. I like the spring release system they use better than the Magpul and they were just a bit less money. The rear has two sight styles that are changeable by rotating the center piece which is locked in by a spring help retention space below. You can also easily adjust the sight left or right with the control wheel. It has very crisp clicks for each change in setting. The front is also easily adjustable with an exposed wheel. Much easier to change than a couple others I looked at.

JSE Surplus
This is the local shop that I found this complete upper. My FIL actually stumbled across their retail location by accident a few weeks ago. Neither of us had any idea they were there even though they've been around for 10 years. This supplier has changed to primarily AR specialty house about 2-3 years ago. It seems their only advertising is word of mouth and their website. That surprised me, but they must be busy enough.

The shop is pretty well packed with just about everything AR. Their website it good and easy to navigate. Only issue with the site is that they can fall behind a day in updating what in stock or not. Honestly not really an issue; just means they're doing a lot of business to keep up with. The store front is not large but well kept and has tons of stuff in hand to look at. Uppers, lowers, kits, accessories, parts, and optics. You could very easily walk in with cash and build your AR in one stop. The owners seem friendly enough and were willing to answer several questions without hesitation or making me feel like an idiot. Big plus right there. We shall see over time how their service holds up as I need more help and decide to move on future builds. I would recommend checking them out. Pricing and people certainly seemed good. Not sure how well the Internet ordering service is, but I suspect it's on par with most.

So ... I'm not sure exactly what I accomplished by posting this, but there it is.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Pics! !

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #16

Mepro vs vortex. Winner mepro

forumrunner_20120917_175516.jpg

forumrunner_20120917_175534.jpg

Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #17

Man, I do wish the mepro was in the current budget. If I can keep myself sane while holding off until I get a couple of my pending re deals closed, that's a great looking option. Honestly, if I can get these closed before my wife throws me out; it'll be scoped out on another build and mepro or Eotech on this one.

Trying to swing a deal with a local Craigslist guy on an Eotech 520 to use temporarily. Got him down to $110 but have to find time to go get it. It's not perfect but certainly would work for a while I think.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
Pics! !
Ok..........
image-3212294132.jpg
image-1759646831.jpg
image-3164676199.jpg
image-1078011933.jpg
image-2992293093.jpg

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71

Ok..........
.....sexy!!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #20

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Sexy sexy sexy! Damn lb!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

LongBaller71 Likes This