Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First Build - finally on the move (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-build-finally-move-72428/)

LongBaller71 09-14-2012 09:09 PM

First Build - finally on the move

3 Attachment(s)
I've been contemplating and researching all the options and variations on a good rookie AR build for the last few weeks. Was about to go brain dead with the overwhelming possibilities and could have ended up doing nothing for who knows how long. Over the last couple of days, I decided to just go for it and learn along the way. I'm sure there will be things I find I like or dislike and others I wish I could add but have to wait on; but here we go anyway!! PLEASE chime in with thoughts and suggestions.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Started with getting a Spikes stripped lower on the way thanks to a great guy here. Perfect.

I was really having a hard time deciding on my upper. And when I thought I had it figured out ... backordered. Well, today I solved that problem. JSE Surplus is based just outside of town here; so when I got a little free time this afternoon I stopped in to see what they actually had in stock vs what is online. Turned out to be a great time to go. Didn't actually plan on a purchase today. But ...
Attachment 58827
Attachment 58828
Attachment 58829
DTI flat top upper - 5.56 NATO
16" chrome lined 1x9 barrel
Mil-spec bcg
Midwest Industries Gen2 10" ff hand guard
YHM Comp flash hider

What made it easy was I got it for in trade for my RIA .45 even up. Came out just right IMHO.

Here's what's up next that I've decided on:

RRA lpk
Magpul MOE stock
Magpul backup rear sight
Magpul backup front sight

Not sure 100% on the optics yet, but leaning towards the Vortex SPARC.

jjfuller1 09-14-2012 09:11 PM

cool. keep posting pics of progress and eventually a range report!

Cattledog 09-14-2012 09:16 PM

Looks like your off to a good start. IMO, DTI uppers are some of the more underrated options out there. I'm sure you'll be happy with it:D

Dillinger 09-14-2012 09:25 PM

Great start and that looks like a quality upper in trade for your RIA you aren't shooting anyways.

Well done sir, well done!

JD

LongBaller71 09-15-2012 10:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. It's all YOUR fault. Dam BRD! Ha.

Added CAA folding front & rear backup sights today. Had planned on Magpul, but I liked these just as much and got a great deal on the pair.
Attachment 58930
Attachment 58931
Attachment 58932
Attachment 58933

Dillinger 09-15-2012 10:24 PM

Nice. Those are well built sights and will definitely serve you well.

We strived for quite a while in the "beginning" to break down some of the walls and clear some of the fog concerning the interwebz mystery of "how complicated the AR is".

I am very happy to say several of us were able to debunk a lot of that bad info and spread Black Rifle Disease like a new, lovable plague. :D

JD

ineverFTF 09-15-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger

We strived for quite a while in the "beginning" to break down some of the walls and clear some of the fog concerning the interwebz mystery of "how complicated the AR is".

I am very happy to say several of us were able to debunk a lot of that bad info and spread Black Rifle Disease like a new, lovable plague. :D

JD

Could i get a link i am always trying to learn more about the actual mechanics of a firearms.

OP looks great, love those sights. Keep us updated.

Dillinger 09-15-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineverFTF (Post 942224)
Could i get a link i am always trying to learn more about the actual mechanics of a firearms.

OP looks great, love those sights. Keep us updated.

Look at the entire Sticky section of this sub forum. There is information, pictures, explanations and people doing builds after reading the same info. ;)

ineverFTF 09-15-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Look at the entire Sticky section of this sub forum. There is information, pictures, explanations and people doing builds after reading the same info. ;)

Thanks, i will be doing some major reading tonight.

LongBaller71 09-15-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

JD

Thx!

I'd say you guys did well! I've been reading and re-reading that group of stickies for days. SO glad there were so many well thought out and written threads. Definitely helps us not-so-organized folks out a ton.

None of it is helping me decide on optics though. Grrrr! :{

1-4x or red dot, red dot or halo, cheaper or break the bank? Aaaahhhh!! Sucks that I haven't used a scope in 30 years. (yes that's sad I know)