Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-build-71060/)

jjfuller1 08-24-2012 10:53 PM

First build

3 Attachment(s)
So it went together just fine no extra parts hehe. I will def do more in the future. Now on to the problem. One trigger pull, 2 rounds fired. Not just once or twice. Every trigger pull. Went thru 40 rounds this way. Then stopped shooting to investigate. Thinking it's an issue with the disconnector

okdonk 08-24-2012 11:04 PM

What kind of fire control group in there?

jjfuller1 08-24-2012 11:18 PM

Kies nickel boron single stage

Quentin 08-25-2012 12:03 AM

You're probably right that it's the disconnector. Definitely get this checked out by a quality gunsmith or buy another LPK and replace the fire control group. Did you buy the LPK locally or online, either way they should replace the FCG. If you're going to continue testing the rifle I'd never put more than 5 rounds in the mag for now. Maybe only 1, really. Anyway you sure don't want 30 to burp out!

jjfuller1 08-25-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
You're probably right that it's the disconnector. Definitely get this checked out by a quality gunsmith or buy another LPK and replace the fire control group. Did you buy the LPK locally or online, either way they should replace the FCG. If you're going to continue testing the rifle I'd never put more than 5 rounds in the mag for now. Maybe only 1, really. Anyway you sure don't want 30 to burp out!

But doesn't that sound fun? Bought the LPk and FCG separate. Gonna take it to a buddy of mine and also contact kies. On a good note I think it looks awesome. Lol

Sentry18 08-25-2012 12:17 AM

I agree on both counts; disconnector issues and it looking awesome. Nice work.

JonM 08-25-2012 01:52 AM

nice looking rifle.

as for the trigger how light is the pull?? is it adjustable?? are you squeezing and holding or just tapping the trigger to fire??

a good test is to clear the rifle, hold the trigger down pull the charging handle to the rear sharply and immediatly let it go. if you can pull the trigger and the hammer drops, your pretty much bump firing. its very common issue on some single stage triggers.

if your bump firing by accident your going to have to work on technique or get a better single stage that isnt as prone to the issue

jjfuller1 08-25-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
nice looking rifle.

as for the trigger how light is the pull?? is it adjustable?? are you squeezing and holding or just tapping the trigger to fire??

a good test is to clear the rifle, hold the trigger down pull the charging handle to the rear sharply and immediatly let it go. if you can pull the trigger and the hammer drops, your pretty much bump firing. its very common issue on some single stage triggers.

if your bump firing by accident your going to have to work on technique or get a better single stage that isnt as prone to the issue

Its not adjustable. Not sure on pull I know it's the lightest i have. I shot it fast by releasing the trigger immediately after shot and also by holding for 2 to 3 seconds. It fired 2 rounds either way.

jjfuller1 08-25-2012 02:59 AM

Note: the pin was very tight going into the trigger, and sear

JonM 08-25-2012 03:00 AM

try popping the lower off cocking the hammer and try and pull the hammer up into the fired position by hand without pulling the trigger. wiggle it around and see if it pops off the sear. i seriously doubt its the disconnector. if the disconnector fails it will just ride along with the bolt carrier and not set a round off. if there is a problem its going to be the sear and the shock of the bolt slamming home popping the hammer off the sear.

you can also try just racking the bolt hard a few times and check to see if the hammer drops.