Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   first build. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-build-100305/)

sigman84 11-13-2013 11:11 PM

first build.

1 Attachment(s)
K well the lower came in today and the lpk from Wilson yesterday. Looks to be well made. Finish looks real nice and is a deep black. No blemishes to speak of that I could see.

Attachment 125810

sigman84 11-13-2013 11:14 PM

Looking at a bcm barreled upper, charging handle and buffer kit with an h-buffer. Wilson nickel-boron bcg. Magpul more hand guard and stock. Troy rear flip up battle sight. And hogue grip.

sigman84 11-13-2013 11:15 PM

Magpul moe

Sniper03 11-13-2013 11:23 PM

Sigman84,

That looks great! And excited about your grip. But still wondering why you would need an H Buffer for a 16" or longer barrel? I guess it is OK but probably not needed. But if you want it go for it the gun should still run OK. Makes me wonder if they are buiding uppers with oversized gas ports? Can't wait to see your future posts on your build. Keep us informed.

purehavoc 11-13-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1430887)
Sigman84,

That looks great! And excited about your grip. But still wondering why you would need an H Buffer for a 16" or longer barrel? I guess it is OK but probably not needed. But if you want it go for it the gun should still run OK. Makes me wonder if they are buiding uppers with oversized gas ports? Can't wait to see your future posts on your build. Keep us informed.

Sniper, more and more of them are over gassing to they can run run under powered ammo without issues . Nobody wants their name in a rifle that wont shoot cheap ammo or people come on the boards and start throwing mud.

sigman84 11-13-2013 11:58 PM

H buffers seem to be about right for these 16 inch rifles for all the ones I have seen built. With a few exceptions here n there of course.

sweeper22 11-14-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigman84 (Post 1430879)
Looking at a bcm barreled upper, charging handle and buffer kit with an h-buffer. Wilson nickel-boron bcg. Magpul more hand guard and stock. Troy rear flip up battle sight. And hogue grip.

That's a good build scheme.

I think the BCG choice may result in spending more on something that pays limited dividends and I don't love the grip choice...but both mostly boil down to personal tastes. I generally feel that BCM uppers deserve BCM BCGs. Probably just a weird personal hang-up. (Your own choices should be just fine)

It looks like you're on your way to an excellent rifle!

sigman84 11-14-2013 12:14 AM

Still trying to decide on the trigger though. The gisseile SSA (or however you spell it) I've heard is one of the best. But I have heard reports that the guy is a bit of a crank for lack of a better word. Any help with that issue would be appreciated.

sigman84 11-14-2013 12:15 AM

I have hogues on my 3 hand guns and love them. If for some reason I don't its an easy cheap fix.

sweeper22 11-14-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigman84 (Post 1430929)
Still trying to decide on the trigger though. The gisseile SSA (or however you spell it) I've heard is one of the best. But I have heard reports that the guy is a bit of a crank for lack of a better word. Any help with that issue would be appreciated.

The SSA is a good trigger. It's just a case of whether spending $200 makes sense for your needs.

I have one premium ($200) Hypertouch trigger on a dedicated range/distance shooter. The rest of my rifles have either ALG QMS (~$50) triggers, or milspecs from PSA kits. I've found both to be really clean and actually quite similar. The affordable ALG is sort of ideal for the do-it-all sports utility rifle in my opinion. It'll last like a milspec, and can excel in almost any role. Many of the spendier options are considerably lighter, but have a much higher potential to break down.