Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR15 Build Process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default First AR15 Build Process

I hope this AR15 project will be the first of many. Before I start I would like to thank a few people at this point in the process. First off, I want to thank JD for the "Let's End the AR BS" thread which inspired me to start this project, because of how easy it appears to be to build one and for answering the questions I have had so far. Next I want to thank junho for his enthusiasm in that thread and for the "Its finally finished, my first AR" thread he posted regarding the positive experience of building his.

I started this Tuesday, August 11th by buying a Yankee Hill Lower Receiver and a DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit. On Wednesday, I went back and bought a 6 Position Collapsible Model 4 Tactical Stock and an AR15 MultiTool.

I plan on starting the build process this weekend and completing the lower receiver portion. Here is a picture of the parts that I have so far.

I will update this as I build it. I feel "BRD" setting in

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

NitroxAZ - Thank you for the thread! I respect you and know that you will do the AR platform proud!

This is going to be as inspiring as my young padwan Junho. I would hope that, moving forward, you will be the next generation of AR inspiration!

Go for it man, from frame/receiver all the way to Range Report!!

I am here, and will be monitoring this thread, should you need any help.

However, thru our communique' I know that you are an intelligent, research driven individual and you will do JUST FINE!!

JD

Old 08-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #3

Anxious to see how it turns out. I wish I had built my first one, but now I have two AR's, an Oly Arms 20" A2, and a DPMS LR-308B. My next one will definitely be one that I built though. Keep us updated, can't wait for the range report.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

I really want to build one, but I can pick up a RRA entry tacical for 845, or an M&P with quadrail/ F & R flipup sights for 1200. That way I'd have a functioning unit while I'm building. I'll be paying attention to this thread for even more inspiration though. Decisions decisions...

Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't wait!! This is as good as the Benning/Crusher Novel!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #6

Default Putting The Lower Receiver Together

Here is the complete lower receiver.

By nitroxaz

I put it together this afternoon with a few curse words thrown in with the damn Recoil Detent Buffer Pin and Spring. This was the most difficult part of the process and it was not that hard. Just mildly frustrating because of the size of my hands. I would probably use a small flathead screwdriver or similar tool to hold it down next time instead of fighting it.

All in all it was very easy to put together. Between great step by step instructions from the Knowledge Base (Pimpin' for ya JD) and simple handyman type skills are all it took so far. Of course when my friends see it I will let them think that I am a master gunsmith

I am looking forward to the next step.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #7

Quote:
a few curse words thrown in with the damn Recoil Detent Buffer Pin and Spring
Muwawa whahahahahah a hhahaha hahahaha!!

That is how we know that you have done it yourself and that you aren't BSing.... LOL

That's awesome....

Congrats on the build.

One word of advice: DON'T EVER!! EVA, EVA, EVA, EVA pull that hammer back and let it slam forward on your stripped lower. That is bad.

You can damage the hammer and the receiver...

Keep up the great work!

JD

Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #8

How many times would it take to damage the lower? I did that twice...DOH!!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
How many times would it take to damage the lower? I did that twice...DOH!!!!
EVERYBODY does it atleast a couple of times. Just don't do it alot. It's one of those newbie rights of passage.

I did the same thing, in front of my Master Gunsmith who I respect more than almost anyone in the world.

Just don't do it again...

JD

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another EBR-smith in the making here

Looks good Nitro. You got lucky...alot of folks would be biting their tongue, not wanting to admit how many extra springs and detents they had to buy to replace all the one they shot all over the house while trying to put their first lower together.

Hint - next time, try using a razor blade or something similar to hold things down. And if possible, find a large enough clear plastic bag to do that part of the assembly in, keeps those little pieces from launching into orbit

Good looking lower you got there, and congrats.

Slo