First ar15 build looking for suggestions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First ar15 build looking for suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First ar15 build looking for suggestions.

Recently started my first ar15 build and have a dpms lower an parts kit that I installed. I just ordered a 24 inch cmmg fluted upper an have a six position stock on it. Its a 1/8 twist barrel chambered in 5.56 so I hope I made the right choice. I'm going to mainly use this gun for varmint an coyote hunting with light range time. Wondering if anyone has ordered a cmmg bull barrel upper an how it is an also does it come with a sling stud or will I have to do that myself? Also wondering what some suggestions on optics an rings everyone likes. I will be ordering a new magpul adjustable butt stock an extended charging handle. If anyone else has some opinions I'm willing to listen. Also I'm going to start on my custom guitar gun that will hold three pistols an my ar.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Why the adjustable stock if you don't mind me asking? Do you plan on humping that 24" bull barrel or are you shooting from a bipod. If you are looking for a varmint setup an A2 style or skeleton type stock will give a more solid feel and better cheek weld. Adjustable stocks look cool but are really not at all practical unless you need to carry the gun in various weather and risk situations, it's main benefit is the ability to adjust length of pull with heavy clothing or body armor on. YMMV...

If you are shooting for accuracy at 200+ yards a free floated barrel and a 2 stage trigger group would be worthwhile options.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-30-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #3

Well it is my first build an got trigger happy on buying stuff before I knew what I wanted to build. I am going to go with a magpul adjustable check an butt an yes I will be shooting mainly from a bipod. The upper is also a free float just forgot to state that. Does the two stage trigger make it less lbs of pull or what's so great bout it?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

A 2 stage will give a more predictable break...stage 1 is the uptake stage, stage 2 is the break. Once you get accustomed to the trigger you can hold it just at the break weight for a cleaner shot. Helps with longer range shooting, not so much for basic plinking and SHTF type stuff. Might be a benefit on a dedicated yote gun but not a necessity.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

Anyone else want to give me there 2 cents?