Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR15 Black rifle (FNG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First AR15 Black rifle (FNG)

First, hello to all of you here. Everyone calls me Bob. I am one of the old farts here probably (60). A neighbor wanted to sell her deceased Husbands guns and offered them all to me. I bought them all. One is a Century Arms INC. AR15 with carry handle. is this an (A2)? 20 inch heavy barrell in the box. Opinions on this weapon would be appreciated. Included were 2,000 rounds of ammo, sling and a under the barrell light set up. I have hunted and shot all my life but, I am new to these Black Guns. It shoots well for my old eyes under 2 moa at 100 yards. Now you can unload on me. All info and comments welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Bob - Sounds like you got yourself a nice shooting Evil Black Rifle there, and best of all, no paperwork.

As far as an opinion on the rifle goes, I love the AR platform and when properly tuned will shoot straight and shoot everytime for you. Ammo is available everywhere and the thing will kill food for the table and Space Zombies until the end of days.

What's not to like?

JD

Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Welcome, Bob. I'm not sure about the specific model you have but I do know that ARs are in high demand right now. If you ever toyed with the idea of getting an AR, hold onto it. If it's not your thing, you may be able to make a buck or two pretty easily selling it.

Yell if you have any questions about it. There is no shortage of people here who can answer any question you can come up with (pertaining to an AR, that is). Post pictures of it, if you want.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #4

Default Thank you John D.

Thank you for the welcome. If anyone is interested (NOT FOR SALE) I got a Browning HI-Power, Remington BDL 300 win Mag, Colt Goverment Model, a Colt Gold Cup, and a Romanian Draganova 7.62X54 all for $1700.00. A large amount of ammo and assessories came with them. And the wife I bought it all from sold home, and all out headed for Florida.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

Jesus - You better get your ass to church boy and make a donation, you got the steal of the century... LOL

JD

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #6

Default From what I been reading, heck yeah.

From all I can glean I did well. Also I am concerned about restrictions to come from Obama world. So I think I will overstock on parts and Ammo. What extra parts for the AR would you suggest I pick up and put away in case of "breakage"? And special tools?

Last edited by bobbyb13; 01-16-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
From all I can glean I did well. Also I am concerned about restrictions to come from Obama world. So I think I will overstock on parts and Ammo. What extra parts for the AR would you suggest I pick up and put away in case of "breakage"? And special tools?
Well, you have a FTF firearm, so there isn't a federal record of you owning it, so even if an Assault Weapons Ban comes, and it IS coming, they don't know about you, so don't volunteer anything.

I would need to see a picture of the rifle to give you a complete list of what I personally would do - but here are a few thoughts....

Ammo would be first. Good 30 Round mags would be second.

Even with a ban in place, you will be able to get parts from dealers for repairs.

I would pick up a complete lower parts kit, once people start having them in stock again. Good luck finding one now, but they have all the pieces that could go missing or get broken for your lower receiver.

I would get a spare Bolt Carrier Group, it's always a good idea to have one just in case.

Depending on the rifle itself, there might be some changes that I would make, but again, I would need to see it to be able to determine that.

What kind of optics do you have on there? I assume the A2 rail as the flip style military sight and you probably have the ramped front sight?? Guessing - I can't see pictures on the work computer. IT Nazis... *shaking fist*

Spare Recoil Buffer Spring - The Buffer itself should be good for a long time.

What kind of stock do you have on there? The military fixed stock? With the fold down door in the butt for storing the cleaning case?

That's just off the top of my head....

JD

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, you have a FTF firearm, so there isn't a federal record of you owning it, so even if an Assault Weapons Ban comes, and it IS coming, they don't know about you, so don't volunteer anything.

I would need to see a picture of the rifle to give you a complete list of what I personally would do - but here are a few thoughts....

Ammo would be first. Good 30 Round mags would be second.

Even with a ban in place, you will be able to get parts from dealers for repairs.

I would pick up a complete lower parts kit, once people start having them in stock again. Good luck finding one now, but they have all the pieces that could go missing or get broken for your lower receiver.

I would get a spare Bolt Carrier Group, it's always a good idea to have one just in case.

Depending on the rifle itself, there might be some changes that I would make, but again, I would need to see it to be able to determine that.

What kind of optics do you have on there? I assume the A2 rail as the flip style military sight and you probably have the ramped front sight?? Guessing - I can't see pictures on the work computer. IT Nazis... *shaking fist*

Spare Recoil Buffer Spring - The Buffer itself should be good for a long time.

What kind of stock do you have on there? The military fixed stock? With the fold down door in the butt for storing the cleaning case?

That's just off the top of my head....

JD
Thank you JD. Mine has a 20 inch heavy barrell. The stock is the military with the trap door in it. I picked up 10 clips, 2000 rounds of remington ammo came with it. I found a lower end kit local, got it, bought a stripped a3 upper so I could use optics. got a spare bolt, and carrier local, and a buffer and buffer spring, and a new rock river spare barrell. The enough? And two firing pins.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
Thank you JD. Mine has a 20 inch heavy barrell. The stock is the military with the trap door in it. I picked up 10 clips, 2000 rounds of remington ammo came with it. I found a lower end kit local, got it, bought a stripped a3 upper so I could use optics. got a spare bolt, and carrier local, and a buffer and buffer spring, and a new rock river spare barrell. The enough? And two firing pins.
Yeah. You should be PLENTY covered....

JD