Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First AR - Pleased so far (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-pleased-so-far-15068/)

Virginia58 06-24-2009 04:37 AM

First AR - Pleased so far

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got my first AR together this last weekend, and took it out to the range for test firing. Had enough time to put 60 rounds through it and adjusted the MBUS sites pretty close. Photos of rifle and last 5-shot group below.

I've got a lot to learn, but everyone here has been great with advice. FirearmsTalk has been a tremendous learning resource for me as I researched possible configurations. For the first I wanted a 16" SHTF config. Took me 6 months to get this far, and I can see a lot more $ to be spent.

Build so far:

Rock River Complete Lower with NM2 Trigger
Addax Custom Combat Lite Mid-length DI Upper
M4 Feed Ramps
CMMG 4150 Chrome Lined Barrel 1:7 Twist
CMMG Bolt & Carrier
Low Profile Gas Block
Daniel Defense AR Lite Rail 12.0
Bulldog FSC comp/suppressor
Magpul MBUS
Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment
Magpul Window PMags

On my wish list to add:

Magpul CTR stock
Good Sling (thinking single point)
Better Pistol Grip (my hands are large and stock grip feels small)
Eotech (like 517)
Possible VFG (not sure if necessary)

AR762 06-24-2009 10:43 AM

That's a cool looking rifle. It seems to keep nice tight groups too.

How do you like that Rock River 2 Stage lower? I just bought one off Gun Broker the other day, I'm waiting for the FFL to call me so, I can pick it up.

Yunus 06-24-2009 10:45 AM

That's a great looking AR!

Shooting really well too.

Virginia58 06-24-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR762 (Post 121081)
That's a cool looking rifle. It seems to keep nice tight groups too.

How do you like that Rock River 2 Stage lower? I just bought one off Gun Broker the other day, I'm waiting for the FFL to call me so, I can pick it up.

The lower seems well built and I really like the trigger. Not much use for the stock grip as I have large hands, but I think that is a pretty commonly replaced part.

RL357Mag 06-24-2009 12:17 PM

Nice rifle and nice groups. I have an RRA NMA4 with Hogue grip. The Hogue is slightly larger than the standard A2 grip and gives much better purchase due to the stippled soft rubber compound.

Virginia58 06-24-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 121093)
Nice rifle and nice groups. I have an RRA NMA4 with Hogue grip. The Hogue is slightly larger than the standard A2 grip and gives much better purchase due to the stippled soft rubber compound.

Thanks. I am looking into the Hogue grips as well as the Magpul MIAD and CAA offerings. Don't have local shop that has a wide variety that I can "grip" before buying. May have to wait till the next gun show here (July 11) so that I can see a bunch at one time.

Jo da Plumbr 06-24-2009 02:40 PM

Congratulations

Dillinger 06-24-2009 03:06 PM

That's a nice looking rig Viginia - I love the RRA two stage trigger on my longer range guns as well. Very smooth and it definitely braks like a glass rod for crisp, clean shots.

I have the MAID grip with the spare bolthead in the handle and I love it. It's a simple screw replacement for the stock and it fits my larger than average hands very well.

As for your sling - I would recommend reading this really well written piece by Larry Vickers, former plank holder of Delta Force.

However, if you still want a single point sling, I got one I will ship you out super cheap. I tried it, I didn't like it - but if you want it, it's yours for a song. :D

JD

Virginia58 06-24-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 121148)
I love the RRA two stage trigger on my longer range guns as well. Very smooth and it definitely braks like a glass rod for crisp, clean shots.

As for your sling - I would recommend reading this really well written piece by Larry Vickers, former plank holder of Delta Force.

However, if you still want a single point sling, I got one I will ship you out super cheap. I tried it, I didn't like it - but if you want it, it's yours for a song. :D

JD

JD - The 2-stage trigger is indeed sweet, can't blame it for my off mark shots.

As for the sling, I might be interested in your single-point, even as a temporary solution. Send me a PM and let me know what you want for it. I read several opinions like the Vickers one you noted, and eliminated the 3-point (too much going on there for me). Seems like there are the 1-point and 2-point camps with valid points.

My son bought a convertible 1-to-2 point sling that seems pretty easy to adjust from one the other, but I can't recall the manufacturer. I bought the ASAP ambidextrous sling attachement point with that thought in mind.
ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point [MAG500] - $29.95 : ++ Magpul Industries ++

The not yet shipping Magpul MS2 convertible 1-2 point sling looks pretty good, but it may not be available for another few months.
MS2 Multi-Mission Sling [MAG501] - $49.95 : ++ Magpul Industries ++

Thanks for info

JoshX3Magazine 06-24-2009 09:50 PM

Good looking rifle!
It already seems to shoot awfully nice! Can't wait to see it all built-out and finished up.

Nice to find yet another Virginian on the site, and another AR shooter too! I'm up in Fredericksburg myself, and I've got a Panther AR.

Have a good one!

Josh