Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Well. Like I said in my last post; there's market value, (high or low) collector value (whatever someone will pay) and unreasonably desperate value(batsht crazy)

Personally I like to refrain from name calling, but hey...if the shoe fits. Education is primarily what this forum is all about. Anyone paying a ridiculous price for an AR didn't do their homework. That said, the OP didnt overpay. He paid a fair market value. After that, someone paying collector prices for a c15 is... well....now I'm talking in circles.
Agreed. Before I bought my first AR I lurked around a few forums. I probably would have joined the AR15.com site, except they have a dumbass rule that your email has to be a paid provider ISP (IE no yahoo, Hotmail, gmail, etc) Seeing as even if I do have one, I have no idea what it is, that didn't work for me. Hindsight now, I'm glad I joined here instead. I learned what I needed and bought what suited my purpose. While I typically only revert to name calling when someone is being a real stupid jackass, I do find anyone buying a gun during it's peak value time which is basically double what it is really worth, to be less than intelligent at the least.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Okay so what exactly is the difference between a stripped lower and a complete lower? If i purchase a stripped lower what additional parts will I need to buy

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

You'll need a lower parts kit, A buttstock/buffer tube set (with buffer and spring) and a youtube video

A complete lower is exactly what it sounds like. Its built and you drop a complete upper on it to make a rifle. A stripped lower is just a finely milled chunk of aluminum.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I'd sell it and build one. May take you up to 3 months or more to get all the parts together. I recently finished building my first for about $1500. That's with everything in the picture.
Nice looking stick man i especilly like that rail!

Specs on the rifle?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
What I meant is, that I dont think its appropiate for us who are sitting pretty w/ AR's to look down and pass judgment on, as "idiots", to those americans who were forced by the market to pay much more because they rightfully came to fear their gov't.
Nobody is "forced" to do much in this country, at least so far.

Each person has their own interests, strengths, values, priorities, etc. I happen to have an interest in ARs. It's a young and developing interest, but that still probably lands me well ahead of the layman's curve.

So the currently insane AR market has been tolerable (and at times even quite lucrative) for me. I'm fortunate to benefit from various sources, connections, knowledge, etc. I'll never chastise anyone for being behind on that curve. Because again, we all have our own interests/strengths/etc.

But bending over backwards to pay 2-3X market value for the lowest common denominator AR type rifle -is not- anything anyone is forced to do. It's nothing short of an ignorant move; by a poorly informed person; who simply doesn't understand the market they're tossing their money (often by the thousands) at.

Do your research folks. From what I've seen, there is a current 20-25% premium being commanded for higher quality ARs/products. And there is a 50-200% markup that exists on the cheap stuff. You do the math, and tell me ingorance (translation: idiots) isn't a major factor in this equation. So would you like a $700 AR for $1800, or a $1200 for $1500? They're both out there, and more abundantly than you think.

Again, most $600-800 ARs are in fact excellent values no matter the name they wear...but only at that price. If you want to spend $1200-2000 on an AR: please do a week or so worth of research, and take full advantage of the resources on this site. They'll generally point you in the right direction and allow your $ to perform as they should.

We're all consumers. Demand that your moeny perform well for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
Okay so what exactly is the difference between a stripped lower and a complete lower? If i purchase a stripped lower what additional parts will I need to buy
Buy a good lower. If possible, get an "in demand/name" lower. You will pay a premium for this and I'm not for one second going to tell you that you'll always get a vastly superior product as a result. But your lower receiver will in fact become the hood ornament on your AR. It's your badge of quality, or can just as easily translate to a lack thereof. So you get range props, pride of ownership, and generally more than recover the extra money spent if you ever choose to sell.

That's my take. That's why I mostly buy Noveske lowers. They're an extremely "in demand" manufacturer (at the moment, this stuff constantly evolves) who happens to be 50 miles from my door...so I'm quite fortunate in that sense. I don't buy them because I'm convinced they're dramatically better than "brand X". It's because I know I'll more than recover my investment if I ever decide to sell.

Then keep an eye on PSA for a PSA/Magpul LBK. These come in several flavors (MOE, STR, ACS, CTR, etc). They're all really solid, reasonably priced ($170-210 delivered at this moment), and are everything I desire to complete a lower.

That's my recipe for AR build success anyway. I'm sure others have varying takes.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Buy a good lower. If possible, get an "in demand/name" lower. You will pay a premium for this and I'm not for one second going to tell you that you'll always get a vastly superior product as a result. But your lower receiver will in fact become the hood ornament on your AR. It's your badge of quality, or can just as easily translate to a lack thereof. So you get range props, pride of ownership, and generally more than recover the extra money spent if you ever choose to sell.

That's my take. That's why I mostly buy Noveske lowers. They're an extremely "in demand" manufacturer (at the moment, this stuff constantly evolves) who happens to be 50 miles from my door...so I'm quite fortunate in that sense. I don't buy them because I'm convinced they're dramatically better than "brand X". It's because I know I'll more than recover my investment if I ever decide to sell..

Yeah there's that whole brand thing. Is your AR a tool, a safe queen, an investment or all of the above. My first was a tool, to be shot with no intentions of selling it ever. later AR's in my collection are another story.

To the OP: yes, you have entered the rabbit hole. As we go further, we'll get into the perplexing worlds of anodizing and BCG finishes.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
The difference is everything they said, and a little side of lazy for those of us who want instant gratification. Of course, after changing the trigger springs, adding a new pistol grip, and changing from a commercial to milspec tube, you've pretty much done 80% of it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr