First AR, need advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

While I can agree with most of what's been said here, after all was said and done I decided my first AR would be a DPMS that ran me $600 back in early November. I wanted to learn the platform and decide if I wanted to push further into it. Only spending the $600 gave me the opportunity to try it out and know that I could get most, if not all my money back should I sell it. I got lucky and stumbled into an excellent complete upper from Spikes during all the Hysteria for a price no sane man could resist. At the same time, I couldn't afford to keep both. I sold the DPMS with a quad rail and a JP reduced power yellow spring set installed, 2 factory mags and 2 polymer mags, and 100 rounds of Winchester frangible ammo for $1200. It was sold within 30 minutes of me listing it. I didn't really wanna sell my first AR, but when the numbers say you can't afford to keep both, well, then you simply can't afford to keep both. So I took a step up in terms of the quality of my upper. But the whole point was, I bought an entry level piece to learn. And it performed quite well right out of the box, and I was happy with it. That's all that matters at the end of the day, are you happy with it.

(by the way, if someone offered me that kind of money and I was in your position, I'd take the money and never look back )

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Lets not call someone an Idiot just because he is in a hurry to get a functional AR which this is.

Are better deals available? Yes but you'll have to WAIT and wait and wait.
Most of us have AR's more than one and dont feel presured to ahve something NOW.

Imagine if you dindt have one and wanted one NOW woukldnt you pay a little extra to get one right now??
And that person might come here askign for advice too, I'd hate for him to read such.
I'm always amazed how little research people do when buying a car, TV, home, or even an AR.

So what do we call people who don't use their brains? Hmmm...

An idiot ... is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #23

^^^Quen does have a way with words!

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #24

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Some idiot is gonna give you $1450 for a C15?

Yeah sell it now!
Yes he is. And I'm gonna take the money and runnnnnn
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #25

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

I am really not enjoying the general tone of this thread and how some gun owners view their less gun-competent fellow americans

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't think its so much "less gun competent" as it is people who buy without any research. Apply a little google foo and you will know instantly that the carbon 15 is less than desirable. MUCH LESS. If someone researches and still comes to the conclusion that they want a carbon 15 then so be it. But to make a buying decision from a position of total ignorance is idiotic. Shame on them either way. PT Barnum said it best....." A fool and his money" blah blah blah

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #27

Quote:
I am really not enjoying the general tone of this thread and how some gun owners view their less gun-competent fellow americans
You just aren't looking at it from the correct perspective. Any product, and I mean anything from $1 to $1000000, will be affected by the laws of supply and demand. Currently, firearms and ammo have begun to be treated like a commodity. It's the same principle as gasoline.....when it goes up, smart folks drive less. Selling something at current market price that you can make a buck on, that's good ole pure Capitalism.

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
You just aren't looking at it from the correct perspective. Any product, and I mean anything from $1 to $1000000, will be affected by the laws of supply and demand. Currently, firearms and ammo have begun to be treated like a commodity. It's the same principle as gasoline.....when it goes up, smart folks drive less. Selling something at current market price that you can make a buck on, that's good ole pure Capitalism.
Very true. Firearms are traded like any other commodity, in that their price fluctuates according to demand.

Politics and the perception of future politics also plays a huge role in these cases. I would imagine that someone willing to spend that much on a c15 is under the impression that bans are imminent. Is that idiotic? Depends on who you talk to.

A c15 isn't, by any stretch, a collector piece so it can't just be worth what someone is willing to pay. It has a market value and even with the current political climate, that value falls somewhere between 800.00 to 1100.00. beyond that is entering into collector (not) or desperate territory.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #29

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Oh I dont mean it that I am mad at folks chargng a lot for their rifles if the market supports it.

What I meant is, that I dont think its appropiate for us who are sitting pretty w/ AR's to look down and pass judgment on, as "idiots", to those americans who were forced by the market to pay much more because they rightfully came to fear their gov't.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Oh I dont mean it that I am mad at folks chargng a lot for their rifles if the market supports it.

What I meant is, that I dont think its appropiate for us who are sitting pretty w/ AR's to look down and pass judgment on, as "idiots", to those americans who were forced by the market to pay much more because they rightfully came to fear their gov't.

Well. Like I said in my last post; there's market value, (high or low) collector value (whatever someone will pay) and unreasonably desperate value(batsht crazy)

Personally I like to refrain from name calling, but hey...if the shoe fits. Education is primarily what this forum is all about. Anyone paying a ridiculous price for an AR didn't do their homework. That said, the OP didnt overpay. He paid a fair market value. After that, someone paying collector prices for a c15 is... well....now I'm talking in circles.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson