Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default First AR, need advice

I just recently bought a carbon bushmaster from gander for 849. I know the price is horrible but I have a few questions. I bought a magpul hand guard and I am debating getting a magpul adjustable stock. Is the gun worth me investing time and money into or should i just try and sell it ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Carbon 15 is an ok platform at best so i would try and sell it and try to get a cheap mid range rock river or dpms panther

Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

I'd sell it, the C15 isn't a great AR. In today's market you'd likely make a $100 or more and could get a much better AR. Things seem to be easing up so a little patience could get you a milspec PSA and money for ammo, mags, etc.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Let's see first AR advice:

1. Wait until you can afford to purchase an AR of mil-spec quality or better. That somewhat limits your choices, but Colt, BCM, DD, and others all produce quality carbines at reasonable prices, current panic buying environment notwithstanding. Quality costs money, but a 1K Colt lightweight carbine is not too expensive if you stake your life on the quality and reliability of the weapon.

2. Use MagPul PMAG magazines, the Gen M2 and Gen M3 magazines are both better than USGI aluminum in every relevant way (cost, reliability, durability). If you can't accidentally step on a magazine and use it afterwards, don't buy it. I think running over a magazine with a truck is a little extreme, but it's nice to know that if I forget to pack up a magazine or it falls off the bed of my truck while backing out of the parking lot at the range that it can take the abuse and continue to function.

3. There are four accessories that are requirements for any mil-spec carbine for HD.

- Sling (single point, two point, bungee cord and duck tape, whatever just get a usable, reliable sling)

- SureFire weaponlight (there is no other brand of light with the reliability and durability of a SureFire)

- BUIS (if your carbine did not come with a front and/or rear sight)

- Aimpoint or EoTech optic (nobody with human eyes can line up three points at different distances in front of the eye faster than two points)

4. Take a carbine course from a reputable training outfit. If you aren't in physically good condition, thought you needed more crap on your weapon than you really did, or thought there's no difference in weight and balance between a lightweight DI AR carbine and a piston carbine suitable for use as an infantry weapon, the course will teach you the error of your ways better than some random guy, like me, on the internet telling you so.

5. If you like your AR, keep it. If not, sell it. Don't take advice from random guys on the internet.

All of my advice assumes your first AR is for defense and not for precision target shooting or plinking.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #5

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

I think your prie is actually pretty deent considering the current panic prices.

Also I am not mesmerized by brands the way others are.

Is a polymer lower as good as a quality aluminum one probal not.
Will it make a difference in your current use?
Who knows.

I have owned both very high end ( Daniel Defense) and entry level Ar's such as Delton.
Todays entry level guns are of such improved quality that 15 years ago they would ahve been considered mid range.

Functionally the differene between a gun of pre panic MSRP of 1500 and pre panic MSRP of 800 is incremental IMO.

I can afford high end gear but i really trust my entry level guns as well especially after the first testfire.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd consign it with a local dealer and ask them what they think they could quickly move it for. Depending on the local market, that might even be as much as $1250...which might leave you $1100. That's enough to build a really solid AR through PSA.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Wow thanks for the replies I went a head and put on my own magpul CTR stock and handguard and vertical magpul Foregrip. I got an offer for 1450 cash. Should I take the money and run? If so id like to build my own but with the way things are right now, where should i go about finding the right uppers and lowers? And what exactly are the better brands ? Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton
Wow thanks for the replies I went a head and put on my own magpul CTR stock and handguard and vertical magpul Foregrip. I got an offer for 1450 cash. Should I take the money and run? If so id like to build my own but with the way things are right now, where should i go about finding the right uppers and lowers? And what exactly are the better brands ? Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'd sell it and build one. May take you up to 3 months or more to get all the parts together. I recently finished building my first for about $1500. That's with everything in the picture.
image-858060021.jpg  

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
That's actually a pretty great offer. If you're prepared to wait for other inventories to catch up, sell it.

Better brands? Geeze....um anything with a milled, mil spec aluminum lower is going to be an upgrade, even another bushy. DPMS, rock river, stag, S&W, Colt (of course. because, horse) I'll even throw in Del-ton just for kicks. Keep browsing the AR threads for more opinions. If AR brand opinions were currency, no one would be in debt....ever.

Here's a buyers guide I wrote

A-First-Time-Buyers-Guide-to-the-AR15

Just because Im a shameless self promoter.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
I got an offer for 1450 cash. Should I take the money and run?
Uh, yes. Don't delay, do it now(!!!), and don't look back. That's plenty for your bargain box store generic AR to evolve into a "big boy" rifle, free of charge. What more could you ask for?

Quote:
If so id like to build my own but with the way things are right now, where should i go about finding the right uppers and lowers? And what exactly are the better brands ?
There are many great build sites, but I would start with PSA (Palmetto State Armory). Their prices are always outstanding, they're constantly adding stock, and their quality rivals many of those who charge 20-50% more. JoeBobOutfitters is equal to PSA in price, but sells out fast. BCM and AIM Surplus are also excellent sources, but moderately more expensive and sold out of whatever stock they have in seconds.

(The need to know of...) What's hard to get in a build right now:

1) A good BCG. These were actually highly difficult before Newtown. Backordering one would not be a bad idea. And then keep shopping. Why? Because you can afford a backup with your prospective sale price, and this is a critical "backup" part worth having an extra of.

2) Lower receiver, magazines, ammunition. All are difficult. If you're planning a quality build (and appreciate resale value) I do recommend spending the extra $40-100 for a desireable lower. No, it won't necessarily be legitimately "better". But it's the badge that your AR will forever wear, and it will or will not advertise/imply the quality of build.

3) Everything else is easy. Charging handles are easy. Sights and optics are easy. Lower parts kits are slightly difficult. But I recommend waiting until PSA lists one of their Magpul LBKs (lower build kits), which are everything you need to complete a lower (in style) for $200 or less.