first ar build ?'s - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first ar build ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ill take it all apart and clean it up good again and grease it. I didn't do that before I oiled it well but no grease. Ill look into the alg trigger group. I wouldn't pay to get a trigger job done on this trigger its just not worth it when I buy a real nice trigger for the same price. I'm going to use this gun for hog hunting so I would like a 2 stage trigger. Does anyone have any good places to start looking for a pretty nice 2 stage that won't break the bank?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Before paying anyone for a trigger job, id recommend looking into an ALG trigger. The price of a qms is cheaper than what most peopl chagrge for a trigger job.

Honestly i think ALG should just sell lpks, they sell hotter than psa kits.
Is there a noticeable difference if feel between the ACT and QMS?

From reading the ALG website it seems like the ACT is just polished a little more and nickel-boron / Teflon coated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh66 View Post
Ill take it all apart and clean it up good again and grease it. I didn't do that before I oiled it well but no grease. Ill look into the alg trigger group. I wouldn't pay to get a trigger job done on this trigger its just not worth it when I buy a real nice trigger for the same price. I'm going to use this gun for hog hunting so I would like a 2 stage trigger. Does anyone have any good places to start looking for a pretty nice 2 stage that won't break the bank?
nope, Nice , 2 stage and don't break the bank doesn't all fit together , it almost fits like a square peg in a round hole

Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well since I won't hunt with such a crap trigger like the dd one I have now, are there any other ones worth looking at besides the alg? I have heard a lot of good about the rra national match 2 stage are they any good or just hype? I know some of the bigger names get a cult following sometimes and people think they can do no wrong. But seeing as I'm new to the ar world I figure it can't hurt to ask before I spend a small fortune

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #15

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Do you have access to other ARs with milspec triggers to compare to yours?

I've used 2 DD LPKs which both had good triggers. Also 3 Stags (2 good, 1 pretty bad). A Bushmaster was pretty good and a DPMS was awful. Really it's luck of the draw and some milspecs are just as good as the ACT and QMS. The nice thing about the latter two is they should be better than a crappy milspec.

Any luck with DD CS?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
Is there a noticeable difference if feel between the ACT and QMS?

From reading the ALG website it seems like the ACT is just polished a little more and nickel-boron / Teflon coated.
There is a difference. The ACT is slightly lighter....greased...um how do I describe it. Buttery! I can feel the difference. My wife cannot. But she's not really an avid shooter.

In my personal opinion. I don't think the ACT is worth the almost 50% increase in price. I believe that if the QMS were standard issue, most people would not even feel the need for an aftermarket trigger. Its what every run of the mill milspec trigger should be.

I am reserving my ACT tho for possible future build with a 5.45 upper. Them corrosive primers can be nasty.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 11-20-2012 at 12:27 AM.
ZeusEcho Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Do you have access to other ARs with milspec triggers to compare to yours?

I've used 2 DD LPKs which both had good triggers. Also 3 Stags (2 good, 1 pretty bad). A Bushmaster was pretty good and a DPMS was awful. Really it's luck of the draw and some milspecs are just as good as the ACT and QMS. The nice thing about the latter two is they should be better than a crappy milspec.

Any luck with DD CS?

I didn't get a chance to get ahold of dd cs yet. It was a crazy day. I will get ahold of them tomorrow though. But I can always get ahold of my buddy that works at the lgs and go compare triggers he's done a bunch of builds with all sorts of triggers.I'm not looking for the greatest trigger in the world I just am not looking for a gritty pos. Something consistent the one I have now creeps a little different everytime because there is no smoothness to it at all. Hopefully dd cs will send a new one but if they won't ill just get a nice 2 stage

Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #18

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

If your buddy goes through a lot of triggers maybe you can work out some arrangement with him to trade you a better milspec. Otherwise Agent Tikki's advice on the QMS might be the way to go unless a decent milspec isn't enough.

I went through about 7 LPKs over the last few years to end up with good triggers for 4 ARs. I kept one LPK with a decent trigger as a spare and sold the other two at a fair price. I'm satisfied now since a good milspec is fine with me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok so just got off the phone with dd cs and they said to try to grease it good and break it in. If it isn't any better after a 10 or 20 rounds he said call back and they will send me a whole new lpk. He said it was no problem and they had a few guys in the last month call with the same problem. Must have been a sub par batch or something. I'm very happy that dd will stand behind their product and do their best to get the problem resolved. Ill definatly order from them again.

And as far as my buddy trading he will never go for it he is a freak about his ar's just like the rest of us and he likes all the ones he has. It never hurts to try though. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2661 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

I will cut to the chase! Go get you a Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger and just drop it in. You should be able to find one at a gun show for $100 or less if you shop around. Retail I think is about $125? You will be impressed I assure you! And then later if you even want to make it better, get a set of KNS Anti Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pin Set. Not real expensive either. And what a difference they will make. I have them in my Sabre Defence 6.5 Grendel and a great improvement! And then set back and Enjoy!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy