Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   first ar build ?'s (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-build-s-76638/)

jwalsh66 11-18-2012 06:10 PM

first ar build ?'s

So I just got done assembling most of the lower on my first ar build. I was testing out the trigger, hammer and sear to make sure everything was functioning correctly but noticed that as I'm squeezing the trigger back while the hammer is engaged if feels gritty. Now I'm a machinist by trade (not a machine operator) and know that no matter how good the finish looks there are always going to be some mill marks. Just wondering if this is normal. Incase it matters any it is a daniel defense lpk in a psa lower. Thanks for your help.

Quentin 11-18-2012 09:03 PM

It's common for a milspec trigger to be gritty. It can improve over time but don't expect a real smooth trigger at milspec cost.

jwalsh66 11-18-2012 09:13 PM

Its pretty heavy also is that pretty standard of a mil-spec trigger? I guess I might have to upgrade. But why the extra cost then?

purehavoc 11-18-2012 09:25 PM

Mil.spec.triggers seem to vary a lot I have purchased 9 of them from PSA and out of 9 only one was what I would call terrible. Sand like gritty feel. The rest have been fabulous and the most recent one was as good or better than my favorite reworked trigger and this one was straight out of the bag.
My brother in-law just had to buy a Daniel defense lower parts kit and it was real gritty also. However DD is going to send him another one. They said it should not have been like that. I guess we will see when it shows up

jwalsh66 11-18-2012 10:15 PM

Maybe ill try to get ahold of them and see if they will send another one. I have been shooting for awhile now but this is my first ar. To be honest this is the worst trigger I have ever felt. I didnt think it would be quite this bad. Thanks for your help guys ill get in contact with dd and see if they can help me out.

Quentin 11-19-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalsh66 (Post 1019142)
Its pretty heavy also is that pretty standard of a mil-spec trigger? I guess I might have to upgrade. But why the extra cost then?

What extra cost? The cost of a DD LPK over an el crapo kit? :confused:

When you buy a milspec trigger you can't expect one that breaks like a glass rod. No matter what brand. If you get a real good one that's great but most are just average.

If something's really wrong, are you sure the springs are in right?

jwalsh66 11-19-2012 01:41 AM

Yeah the dd kit costs $35 more than say like a dpms kit. From what I can tell the springs are in correctly. Everything looks exactly like the pictures in the book I got. I followed those directions word for word. I'm not sure it might be that I'm not used to a run of the mill mil-spec trigger. None of my guns have stock trigger they all are atleast cleaned up and smoothed up. Ill have my smith check it out before I do any shooting

Quentin 11-19-2012 04:23 AM

Well you might look at the sear areas and see if there's a gouge or something unusal. Barring that I'm not sure if they'll replace the trigger unless it doubles or malfunctions somehow. Guess you'll find out when you talk to them.

jwalsh66 11-19-2012 01:31 PM

Sure will thanks for the help

AgentTikki 11-19-2012 05:09 PM

One thing you can try is removing and cleaning off your fcg real good, and put some good grease on the sear sufaces and where the pins go. Also a little dry firing should help smooth things out, just dont let the hammer hit the reciever if you dont have your upper and bcg on. Taping a couple cotton balls or an old ear plug will soften the blow. I know holding the hammer back with your off hand gets old after a while.

Before paying anyone for a trigger job, id recommend looking into an ALG trigger. The price of a qms is cheaper than what most peopl chagrge for a trigger job.

Honestly i think ALG should just sell lpks, they sell hotter than psa kits.