First AR build, need buttstock help.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR build, need buttstock help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First AR build, need buttstock help.

Gentlemen, I am looking to build my first AR. I am wanting to build it as a long range piece. 20-24 inch barrel (24 looks like those are hard to find, so probably 20).

I am just getting started with the lower, and working on the wife for more budget money...

So far I have a Quentin Defense U.S. Army billet lower. (I fell in love with that rollmark.) And a Daniel Defense parts kit. I know at some point I'll need a trigger upgrade.

I am looking at buttstocks and just can't seem to decide between the Tactical Intent TI-7, Ergo F93, and the Magpul ACS (all mil-spec).

Any help deciding between those would be appreciated for the type of shooting I am building for.

If I am way off base on those, please feel free to tell me so, but please propose an alternative. And yes, I know, I should a want a Magpul PRS... the budget officer will not allow that level of expenditure. I need to be in the $150 range for the buttstock, spring, buffer, nut, etc.

Thank you.

Last edited by BodySnatcher; 12-03-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

For long range, I'd save up and get the Magpul UBR. Great stock but will cost over $200. I have a ACS-L and a UBR on 2 different AR's. The UBR gets shot a lot more.

The UBR comes with a proprietary buffer tube.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #3

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Great choice on the Quentin Defense U.S. Army billet lower! I have one too that I haven't built up yet. I also have a DD LPK for it and an ACS. Really all I need is the receiver extension, buffer, etc. Don't know why I haven't put it together yet. With a 20" barrel how about the A2 rifle stock?

BTW, Quentin is my name but I am not affiliated with Quentin Defense except as a customer.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a large family and no matter what I do every one wants to shoot "Dad's gun" so the adjustable makes everyone comfortable.

I have been thinking of the A2 stock but rejected it for the lack of adjustment.
Now if there were a way to accomplish that, I wouldn't mind the weight in the back end (of the gun fellows, the gun, not the wife... ) to balance what will be a heavy front end.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Id shy away from the egro, there's a reason why Magpul dropped the design, but it does look cool.

Consider the Vltor imod too it also has modular check weld pieces.

Honestly the best thing to do is visit a well stock store and handle them for yourself. A big gun show should have all the models on display to handle too. Pictures and advice can only go soo far.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #6

Good point on the A2 when you have multiple shooters. My vote would be for the ACS then. I actually like the CTR better but most of my ARs are light profile 16". The extra weight of the ACS would match a longer barrel better. Have you also looked at the ACS-L and STR?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good advice AgentT, I'll take another pass at the Vltor product.

Yes Q I have looked at those, the ACS-L I tossed out simply because the 'L' was for light ...I assumed "light weight" which isn't a consideration for this build. And the STR just doesn't float my boat.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Magpul acs hands down.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Yeah the ACS-L is lighter than the original ACS but only a couple ounces. And you lose the extra storage and nice cheek weld.

______

Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Two items to consider.
First, the A2 stock is always the same and solid.
Second, a 20 inch barrel is great, but can be nose heavy, particularly with a heavy profile. I've got one, it's great to shoot but I don't want to have to carry it far and I do carry my M1A and Garands with no complaints.

Enjoy,

OSOK