Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default First AR build

Hello all, I'm a US Army infantryman currently stationed in Ga. I'm about to embark on my first AR building journey and obviousley have many questions. A friend of mine bought a number of stripped lower recievers from PSA and the price was right so I jumped on one. It arrived today. Its something I have wanted to do for some time now, but do to deployments, moving duty stations, and starting a family have not gad the means until recently. I am very familier with the M-4/M-16 series rifles so I have a decent level of knowledge as far as gun-theory and operation/maintenance but as I stated, have never built one from the ground up. What I am looking for is advice on building a decent rifle at a moderate price. Nothing fancy, just a 16 inch flat top. I'm also interested to hear about peoples mistakes and common first timer pit falls. I don't know what I don't know, so I can't ask a lot of specific questions. Thank you all for any advice you can give a grunt and first time builder.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Read the sticky's at the top of the forum. They will educate you in many different avenues. There are also several guys here who are quite knowledgeable on the topic, and a few that aren't. I'd imagine your familiarity with the M4 would make this a rather simple task for you, given the main difference will be the FCG.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Liked 916 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Hello and welcome, 11B! And thank you for your service.

You made an excellent choice in the PSA stripped lower and I'd recommend buying PSA's LBK (lower build kit) which for around $100 or so will allow you to complete the lower in an M4 configuration. The lower will be milspec instead of comspec like some kits.

I'd watch for a PSA barreled upper receiver/URG and would recommend a 16" LW midlength gas system not the 16" M4 profile barrel/carbine length gas. You will still need a BCG and charging handle. PSA sells them but as anywhere finding them in stock can be a problem. Same goes for the URG.

BCM has a great BCG and CH when in stock, I used theirs in my PSA upper configured as described above.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, that was actually a question I have been wondering about, what is the differences other than just the length of the gas systems in the mid and carbine legnths? Also, I had been looking at buying a upper reciever group as a whole, but am having a moral dilema because wouldnt that take away from the whole DIY aspect of the build? It would make things simpler overall tho. And I'm guessing from your post that PSA makes all around good parts, and I should stick with them for the most part when buying my various components?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

PSA usually has all the right specs. Building an upper requires more specialized tools, if you are willing to take the time and money to invest I'd recommend it.

Installation of the gas block can be tricky, but not too bad. You may have to remove and install it more than once your first time out so don't go putting loctite on it the first time.

You will need a barrel wrench, action block, vise, torque wrench etc etc. If you are looking to make more than one, the investment is a no brainer.

In today's climate, you will be able to save you self a good deal of money if you build it from scratch.

read this and tell us what you want or need!
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Thank you. That is a huge amount of info to take in. It answered a lot of questions of mine. Anyone know where to get a LPK or buffer tube assembly type kit? I keep seeing them on the deals deals deals thread but theyre always gone by the time I get there

Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

sign up for email notifications from Palmetto State Armory, Joe Bob Outfitters, Primary Arms and that should pretty much cover everything you new.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

PSA has there lower build kit in stock with buffer assembly and stock

Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up. I had been checking them and some other sites but kept coming up empty. I'm so pumped to put together this lower now! I was able to get one of the lower build kits you mentioned from PSA ordered today. Hopefully it ships soon and all the parts are correct.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice and input everyone

forumrunner_20130308_151845.jpg   forumrunner_20130308_151857.jpg   forumrunner_20130308_151911.jpg