First AR Build

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First AR Build

Hey everyone. I am in the middle of my first Build. I have the lower done and just bought the parts for my upper; all but the gastube, barrel nut assembly, and all the parts that are forward of the upper receiver. I am looking for recomendations for the barrel and fre-float handguard. I am partial to mid-length and would want one of the hand guards that allows me to place the small picatinnys any where. My main goal is to stay light on this firearm. I also am unsure on the gas block and type for this hanguard. Would love a block that has an integral flip up sight.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpascale View Post
Hey everyone. I am in the middle of my first Build. I have the lower done and just bought the parts for my upper; all but the gastube, barrel nut assembly, and all the parts that are forward of the upper receiver. I am looking for recomendations for the barrel and fre-float handguard. I am partial to mid-length and would want one of the hand guards that allows me to place the small picatinnys any where. My main goal is to stay light on this firearm. I also am unsure on the gas block and type for this hanguard. Would love a block that has an integral flip up sight.
I like YHM hand guards. Midwest Industries make some ff handguards that attach to standard barrel nuts once the delta ring is removed.

I would order a barrel with a mil spec front sight, then cut it down so a rifle length hand guard would slide over the pinned FSP.

This barrel would be ideal:

PSA 16" 5.56mm, 1:7, CHF CL, Mid-Length Barrel - Light Profile

All the above is strictly my amateur opinion. YMMV

PSA = Palmetto State Armory
YHM = Yankee Hill Machine

Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2599 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

BC,

Some of the Quad Rails which I am sure you were referring to when you said free float tube like the Yankee Hill models and others, The Barrel but is part of the Quad Rail so you do not need a standard barrel nut, weld spring or snap ring. As far as the flip up front sight gas block contact Hilltop Guns Inc. in Colona Illinois. He will probably have them in stock and they will be from Rock River Arms. Also due to the volume of business most companies and dealers are doing and phones tied up all day. If you wish to do that you can PM me and I will give you there E-mail address which at the present is the quickest way to contact them. Or leave a message on the business phone.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy