First AR Build - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
LOL! He would be searching for hours!

Last one I saw was over 3k. I'd love to have one, but for that price? I'll settle for three more AR's without the china doll.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
That's just wrong. Why do you want to send the young man on a snipe hunt?
....he did say he wanted to be a sniper........

Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2621 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Savage,

As has been stated Rock River, Stag Arms, Spikes, CMMG and others are all great lowers. even Double Star which is usually very reasonable. Even though 7050 is good grade aluminum it was primarily designed for plate aluminum that was 3"-6" or thicker to resist stress cracks. So bottom line 7075 T-6 for the AR Receiver is more than good for the application with little benefit either way. One concern I had about the receiver you showed in the picture was the actual color of the Anodizing if that was Anodizing. Seemed to have a green cast to it which would not match the upper you mated with it in the future. The other thing that is sometimes not known is the company that makes Spikes lowers also makes the lowers for DPMS, Double Star and others. As well as the Rock River, Stags, Colt and others are made by another company. So a good lower that is recommended by the team here on the FTF that is produced for one of the quality companies mentioned will suit you well with no problems. As stated buy a complete upper with bolt carrier group when you buy. You would need tools to build the upper correctly. As far as Chrome Lined 1:9 or Not Chrome Lined that is a personal preference. 1:9 would be my suggestion on barrel twist. I prefer the Non-Chrome Lined Chrome Molly due to a slight edge on accuracy. But either way will serve you well with normal maintenance and cleaning.
Good Luck and if all of us here can assist please ask!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #24

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
Yeah, unfortunately that is not an option from me, as im buying it from a friend. however im not as big of a shooter as most people, and im not old enough for a job yet, so i dont need chroming, that will come when im older and have more money Btw im only 15 so i have to go with the cheapest but still good quality parts that i can get
A unlined barrel will last a long time. I think I've seen estimates around 10k give or take a couple thousand rounds. The only dangerous thing is throat erosion. When the throat erodes, the chamber gets too big, it can lead to a catastrophic failure (kaboom). This is not limited to non lined barrels, but happens to all barrels. Unlined barrels will wear faster of course. As a safety precaution you might try and use a go / no go gauge at around 7K rounds or have a gunsmith give it a look. If you groups start opening up, or they start to keyhole, its time to check your barrel and look to see if its toast.

Also, if you do a lot of rapid fire, your barrel will degrade alot faster, so you will have to check alot earlier.

But honestly, thats like $2000 of cheap russian .223, or $3000 of M193 surplus. If you are planning on shooting more than 500 rounds a month, I'd reconsider getting a chrome lined barrel.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
....he did say he wanted to be a sniper........
THAT was funny!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why a 1:9 barrel and not a 1:7 barrel?
Also might be a stupid question can stainless barrel be chrome lined?
I am currently calling local gun shops to see if they have any lowers available so far I can only find Yankee hill... Never heard of them anyone know anything about that company.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
I am currently calling local gun shops to see if they have any lowers available so far I can only find Yankee hill... Never heard of them anyone know anything about that company.
What price are they quoting on it?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
I believe Yankee hill is a reputable company, however i would ask some others, but i do believe they have good quality materials

Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yankee hill for $160 RRA for $150 and S&W or $175... Its more expensive than only but after shipping and transfer fee it be around the same... Without the wait.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #30

Well, Palmetto State Armory has stripped lowers in stock for 79.95 plus S&H and FFL fee. So you could get the lower and the parts kit for the price of the lower alone elsewhere, and yes, they are currently in stock.