Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First AR Build

Hey all,

I am fairly new to the forum and wanted to pick some of your brains. I am going to start my first AR build very soon. First I am looking to purchase a lower I've been looking at spikes and rock river mainly. Today I was on Aimsurplus.com when I stumbled across the R Guns receiver(as pictured)
I was curious if they are of good quality compared to RR or spikes. Also what the difference was between this receiver and all the other stripped lowers. Is it just that it has the ramp, ejection door, and forward assist? Also I am wanting to put together the lower and buy an upper since uppers are more complex to work on. I am new to the AR world so I will have a lot of questions and any advice will be much appreciated!

image-3600147004.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome Savage!!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

That's where I'd start the journey on building an AR. While the lower isn't that difficult to build, the upper can require some really specialized tools and such, so I'd recommend building your lower yourself, and then ordering the upper from a reputable source.
The questions needed answered to help you on this are as follows:

What are you going to be using it for? (SHTF? Home defense? Terrorizing paper targets?)

Ranges you plan on shooting?

Precision shooting or just hitting the target?

What's your budget, and does that include optics?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I basically want a good all around riffle. Definitely don't need another self defense weapon I have a Glock 22 and a pistol grip tactical Mosseburg 590. I want a riffle that I can hit a 6" target at 150-250 yards consistently but it doesn't have to be a tack driver that can also be a fun varmint riffle as well.
Thanks or the link I have read over that thread a few days ago very good info. I mainly want a reliable parts list that will keep me under a $1000 budget.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh and thanks Ben!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

The geniuses will be along shortly. I am a rookie on this, but here's my take. A good lower receiver primarily needs to be mil-spec, and not a polymer. It's good to get a decent one, but it's not the spine of the set up. Spikes, PSA, RRA, BCM and other companies are solid for lowers.
The Lower parts kit, get a good one, and decide on the furniture you want on it. Use companies with reputations and high commendations. Magpul, Troy, companies like that can meet most of your needs.
Don't get fancy on the bling yet. Put together what you want and need, and then, after you've shot it a few times, determine what you want to add on. This will save you money, both upfront and down the road.
Get a good barrel. I am biased, and think for the buck BCM is superb. You'll get other recommendations.
Get a decent trigger in your lower parts kits. Again, depending on budget, PSA and others will be mentioned.
Take your time and make sure you get what you want. Better to build what you are comfortable with, financially and shooting wise, than to get an expensive safe queen.
I'd assume you want a 5.56 caliber.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the info. again. I think I will get a spikes lower. Everything seems to be back ordered so I guess it becomes a waiting game.
Yes a 5.56 I was thinking 308 but would need up being to expensive to shoot.
Any idea of a website that lists gun parts locally for a lower instead of online?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ben's got you covered!

I highly recommend reading the stickies at the top of the forum. Read the Primer, and look at the "pictures of lower recievers"

So long as the lower is in spec you really shouldn't have any problems with a plain jane milspec type. $1000 is a good budget, are you allocating more funds for optics? or is that budget including optics.

Holding 6" at 150 isn't asking your AR to do much. With quality ammo, and a quality shooter (i kid), 6" at 300 should be within reason for any decent AR.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
Thanks for all the info. again. I think I will get a spikes lower. Everything seems to be back ordered so I guess it becomes a waiting game.
Yes a 5.56 I was thinking 308 but would need up being to expensive to shoot.
Any idea of a website that lists gun parts locally for a lower instead of online?
You can wait on Spikes if you like the watermark, but realistically? This is 7150 aluminum as well.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ar15-lower.html

And it is in stock as we speak. Other thing to remember? Check out joebobsoutfitters.com. Any orders over $90 is free shipping and handling, and see if other sites will offer the same.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$1000 budget would just be for the gun including iron sights... Eventually after I'd pick up an optic for it for sure. For now I just really want to build and start shooting! That's what they are for anyway right hah. Also is there any way to avoid the $50 transfer to FFL fee?
One more thing I've been debating. Would it be cheaper/better quality to build one with my budget piece by piece or buy a say a S&W M&P AR then tailor it to my needs?

With that said which is a better AR S&W or DPMS??

Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
$1000 budget would just be for the gun including iron sights... Eventually after I'd pick up an optic for it for sure. For now I just really want to build and start shooting! That's what they are for anyway right hah. Also is there any way to avoid the $50 transfer to FFL fee?
One more thing I've been debating. Would it be cheaper/better quality to build one with my budget piece by piece or buy a say a S&W M&P AR then tailor it to my needs?

With that said which is a better AR S&W or DPMS??
Call around to the other FFL's in the area, and find out if you can get it done for less. I would shop for that just like you shop for parts and get it shipped to the lowest of the bunch.