First AR


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default First AR

Hello everyone.. I'm new to the AR platform and I'm already in love... I have a smith and wesson m&p 15TS... which I've been told is a good place to start.. I'm a lefty so I have some questions about modifications. Does anyone run a ambidextrous safety and right hand mag release? I'm on the fence about the magazine release..
forumrunner_20130826_154149.jpg



__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
Jagermeister Likes This 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheSadPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 1,324
Liked 398 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

My 516 has an ambi mag release from the factory that i really like. Only downside is that you cant use a BAD lever. Ambi selector switches are awesome and well worth the money. I got the BADASS and the thin selector for the other side is perfect. It doesnt get in the way of your shooting finger but it is still fully functional.



__________________

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

TheSadPanda is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
My 516 has an ambi mag release from the factory that i really like. Only downside is that you cant use a BAD lever. Ambi selector switches are awesome and well worth the money. I got the BADASS and the thin selector for the other side is perfect. It doesnt get in the way of your shooting finger but it is still fully functional.
I don't see the point in a BAD lever being lefty I send the bolt with my trigger finger... I'm putting on a CCMG safety lever and a troy ambidextrous magazine release tonight!
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheSadPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 1,324
Liked 398 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee0812

I don't see the point in a BAD lever being lefty I send the bolt with my trigger finger... I'm putting on a CCMG safety lever and a troy ambidextrous magazine release tonight!
Awesome! I didnt think about how useless a BAD lever is to lefties
__________________

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

TheSadPanda is offline  
bluez Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post

Awesome! I didnt think about how useless a BAD lever is to lefties
I would be all over it as a righty though... Awesome concept...
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
trauma35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 19
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I'm a righty and love the bad lever. Even if I was a lefty I'd have one. Just for the fact it makes my target bigger if I'm trying to lock the bolt to the rear. Instead of that small button you have a bar you can hit. But to each his own.

__________________
trauma35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma35 View Post
I'm a righty and love the bad lever. Even if I was a lefty I'd have one. Just for the fact it makes my target bigger if I'm trying to lock the bolt to the rear. Instead of that small button you have a bar you can hit. But to each his own.
valid point
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,446
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

I like the Troy bad lever over the Magpul.

Don't get the Noveske ambi safety, it sux.

The Battle Arms Development Ambidexterous Safety Selector BADASS, is the nicest I've used. I especially like the 45 degree version. I prefer the standard selector on the strong side, and the hybrid for the weakside.

If brass in your face becomes a problem, look into a lefty reciever and bcg from stag.

__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ZeusEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post

Don't get the Noveske ambi safety, it sux.
Curious to know why it sux...I was thinking of trying one.
__________________

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ZeusEcho is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post

Curious to know why it sux...I was thinking of trying one.
I went with Troy on the safety and mag release... I can't complain... took her to the range today...


__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes