first AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default first AR

Finally made the jump after many years and got a Daniel defense DDM4 V3. I haven't fired it yet, but would like to put an electronic sight on it. the gun has the tall A2 (?) sight on the gas block and looks like it will block anything mounted to the top rail. What to you guys do in this case, short of replacing or modifying the gas block? Is there a riser or something that is used? I'm thinking of going with an EoTech hooded type.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #2

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy
Finally made the jump after many years and got a Daniel defense DDM4 V3. I haven't fired it yet, but would like to put an electronic sight on it. the gun has the tall A2 (?) sight on the gas block and looks like it will block anything mounted to the top rail. What to you guys do in this case, short of replacing or modifying the gas block? Is there a riser or something that is used? I'm thinking of going with an EoTech hooded type.
They do make risers for eotech but honestly id change the gas block sight. Itll get in the way and you wont enjoy the optics as much. Which eotech are you thinking of going with

Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default Wait

You can co-witness an optic with your open or backup sights. Put a flip up rear sight, Magpul is a good option, behind your optic. Then if your battery goes down, you can use the "iron" sights looking through the optic.

If you don't like the A2 sight, you can take it off later and install a free float handguard with rails or whatever.

A cut-down A2 sight is a very inexpensive low profile gas block.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 09-28-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
They do make risers for eotech but honestly id change the gas block sight. Itll get in the way and you wont enjoy the optics as much. Which eotech are you thinking of going with
I'm not sure yet. They make quite a few and I'll have to do some homework before I get off the $$. I like the idea of going the co witness route and may explore that method.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #5

Liked 1001 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I agree with Gatoragn, try to cowitness your optic with the existing sights. Myself, I don't mind the standard FSB at all and you'll never find a better gas block. Even if you do decide the sight is in the way you can just cut it down and now have a low profile gas block as Gatoragn said.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #6

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy

I'm not sure yet. They make quite a few and I'll have to do some homework before I get off the $$. I like the idea of going the co witness route and may explore that method.
The 512-517 are old models and i think there just too bulky. I like the xps-xps3, but cor my nv isnt necessary. I have an aimpoint and love it as much as my xps-2. Alot of people bebate with is better but i use both. Eotech for shotty and aimpoint for m-4

Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would like to add, please try and handle and sight through the sights that you are interested in.

I like Eotechs, love the reticle style, but my astigmatic lasik'd eyes can't handle the reticle.