First ar - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I done alot of research and read alot of reviews before purchasing my stag and untill now haven't really heard anything negative about them other than people not liking their logo. I'm sure there are better out there but this is what I wanted and was convinced that it will serve me just fine.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #22

I had a stag 15 bull varmenteer a few years back and probably put 2 thousand rounds through it and it was a good gun but I couldn't compete with the M1A, so I bought a model 21 Springfield, the price was shocking but it is a good gun but no better than my 700 Remington. I'm a 220 Swift freak, have been for years, my favorite hunting is crows and coyotes. I have the fattest buzzards around.
I have some colt ar's and a bushmaster, but I hardly ever shoot them.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #23

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

mjkeats You know as well as I about 4140 steel or 4150. Just a couple percentage of a point of carbon if both are hot rolled. In simple terms. When barrels companies like douglas and krieger can produce world class barrels out of 4140 steel and and 416SS most every other consumer carbon steel barrel used is 4140 or 416SS why pay for something thats just not needed in a civilian market. Now if you need to know more ,google as your friend. Now mall ninja's. A person that shows up at the range with his toy and with a pile of ammo and loads and and fires as quickly as he can at nothing special. Just make'n noise. You might even know one of them.

Last edited by hardluk1; 01-31-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #24

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Hardluk1, are you saying all civilians shouldn't buy 4150 barrels? You say it's not needed, how can you be sure of that? Why not pay a few bucks more for higher quality? Some civilians actually do have a high round count so why not go for a stronger barrel?

Also, there are other areas where you can get better steel. What do you say about bolts? Pay 15% less for lower quality? And carriers, who cares about staking... Some people are willing to pay an extra 15% or so for higher quality.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Why get in a pissing contest you buy what you like and the rest of us will buy what we like. Right or wrong it's my money

Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
mjkeats You know as well as I about 4140 steel or 4150. Just a couple percentage of a point of carbon if both are hot rolled. In simple terms. When barrels companies like douglas and krieger can produce world class barrels out of 4140 steel and and 416SS most every other consumer carbon steel barrel used is 4140 or 416SS why pay for something thats just not needed in a civilian market. Now if you need to know more ,google as your friend. Now mall ninja's. A person that shows up at the range with his toy and with a pile of ammo and loads and and fires as quickly as he can at nothing special. Just make'n noise. You might even know one of them.
Just making noise, how so? Are you saying there's no value to putting rounds on target a quick as possible? Is there some time out button I missed? Hold up bad guy while I find a bench and a vice to put my firearm in.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkins View Post
Why get in a pissing contest you buy what you like and the rest of us will buy what we like. Right or wrong it's my money
Because supporting companies that produce substandard products effects all of us and the industry as a whole.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #28

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkins
I done alot of research and read alot of reviews before purchasing my stag and untill now haven't really heard anything negative about them other than people not liking their logo. I'm sure there are better out there but this is what I wanted and was convinced that it will serve me just fine.
Dont doubt your purchase, the Stag is a good rifle...is there higher quality rifles out there? Of course, does that make the Stag a POS just because there are higher quality rifles out there? Not by a long shot. Stag is not subpar by any means,enjoy your new rifle.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #29

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Hi newbie here. I just recently picked up my first ar a stag model 2 so far I love it. What does everyone think about stag.

Quote:

Didn't you ask what everyone thinks?

A smart man will listen to valid points of view that differ from his own without getting angry. That's the way we learn. Since you asked, I have nothing against Stag, they're all right and it'll probably serve you well. Would I buy one? No, my research led me in a different direction.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes I did ask for opinions but didn't want to cause a ruckus. Are you saying I should listen to only what your saying what about everyone else that says otherwise. Didnt want to argue about it.