First ar - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I was not asking about barrel steel and twist. I was told there was better and was asking if anyone else new the difference in 4140 and4150 my barrel is 4140 I am a machinist have been for thirteen years. I work with these materials on almost a daily basis.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #12

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

If you're a machinist you must work with different carbon steels and have opinions on hardness and longevity. 4140 is cheaper and easier to work with. 4150 is more durable, especially under hard use. 4150 costs more, you have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Slight bit more carbon helps with heat treating

Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Not horrible but you could have purchaced something like a BCM at the same price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Do some looking around and compare price to specs such as barrel steel, twist rate, proper assembly, QC, CS.
This.

I had a Stag 2T and really enjoyed it. For range trips and a couple hundred rounds each month or so it will do you fine.

With that said I built my own with BCM, DD, and Troy parts. I would consider it to be a SHTF build and I wanted the best I could get.

Enjoy your Stag and shoot it as much as you can. After a while you will see what you do and don't like about it. Afterwards, start to piece together your own after doing more research if you find your Stag isn't everything you want in an AR.

Don't worry about your 2T. It will be a good first AR.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Unless your going to play mall nijna at the range or turn one into a machine gun it does not matter if the steel is 4140 or 4150.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Unless your going to play mall nijna at the range or turn one into a machine gun it does not matter if the steel is 4140 or 4150.
For us that don't know can you elaborate as to why? What's the difference? And what does playing mall ninja entail?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Shoot it and shoot it some more, Stag makes a nice AR. Not my first choice, but all the ones I've handled and shot (just a few) were good shooters.

But next time, if you really want some advice, you might wanna ask before you take the plunge......just saying.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #18

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkins
Hi newbie here. I just recently picked up my first ar a stag model 2 so far I love it. What does everyone think about stag.
I've got a stag model 1 with a 20" bull barrel and a 1 in 8 twist. Great weapon! I like my stag better than my friends' bush master and olympic arms AR. You have a great rifle. And stag is one of the better names in AR's.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I've got a stag model 1 with a 20" bull barrel and a 1 in 8 twist. Great weapon! I like my stag better than my friends' bush master and olympic arms AR. You have a great rifle. And stag is one of the better names in AR's.
How so? Compared to what, Oly and BM?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #20

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

How so? Compared to what, Oly and BM?
Stag is one of the leaders in AR manufactruing in the world. Read reviews on them, you may be supprised.