First AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First AR

I am getting ready to purchase my first AR type rifle. There are so many different brands out there, so I asking for some suggestions. My main use would be for target and protection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

" Gun control is not about guns, it's about control "

" American by birth, Southern by the grace of God "

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetinman View Post
I am getting ready to purchase my first AR type rifle. There are so many different brands out there, so I asking for some suggestions. My main use would be for target and protection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
A list posted on another not-to-be-mentioned site recently indicated that there are over 140 different suppliers who distribute AR-15's. Some are good and some are not so good. Many of them do not make the AR's, but rather assemble the parts made by someone else and have their name put on it.

Much of your decision making process in your AR search has to do with your budget. The spread goes from about $750 to $4,000 for a complete rifle. There is also some economy and satisfaction in building one from parts yourself.

Right now, the favored brands are Colt, Bravo Company, Spikes Tactical and Palmetto State Armory. Finding one of these brands in-stock anywhere will be your biggest problem.

Good luck with you AR quest.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #3

I have a Stag Arms Model 2 and I have nothing but good things to say about it

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Daniel Defense and Colt are a great choice if you're looking to spend a little over $1k. For under $1k BCM is by far the leader although you can find Colts for under a k if you look.

Lots of good choices and lots of bad ones as well. Do your research.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Another + for Stag Arms. I have a Model 2T I got new, out-the-door for $950.
It has some nice features that many rifles in that price range don't, such as an A.R.M.S. 40L Rear BUIS, which is very nice. Also a Sampson Star-C Free float quad rail which is outstanding. Another plus is the addition of an extra side-sling mount on the front.
I would get another If I was ever in the market for another rifle. Have shot about 1K rounds thru it so far without a malfunction. Great rifle.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What materials, such as barrel steel and BCG, does Stag use on the 2T. What length is the gas port on the 2T? Staking? Those are the important things. You can always add a rail. You can't change the materials the firearms is made of.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

I believe it's 4150 steel chrome lined 1:9 twist, don't know anything about the bolt carrier group manufacturing company. That can be a cryptic subject. Kind of hard to tell who actually makes bolt carriers and components for the different companies sometimes.
As far as staking, here's a pic of mine.

Here's a link to my post about the rifle.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-rifle-metamorphosis-36622/

I think it's a great rifle. YMMV...

Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #8

Well I just purchase my new AR-15. It is a Smith & Wesson M&P-15. Came with a 30 round mag and flipup sites by Magpul. I looked at 5 different makes, including Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, & Colt. The Smith just felt the best of all of them. I think the fit & finish were pretty much the same on all. They seem to all be very good and the dealer confirmed that. To me the Smith felt the best. I have always purchased a firearm by the way it feels in my hand first, then the other stuff comes into play. The whole package was $1095.00. Now it is time to get some accessories. Any suggestions?

" Gun control is not about guns, it's about control "

" American by birth, Southern by the grace of God "

Last edited by stevetinman; 08-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetinman View Post
Well I just purchase my new AR-15. It is a Smith & Wesson M&P-15. Came with a 30 round mag and flipup sites by Magpul. I looked at 5 different makes, including Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, & Colt. The Smith just felt the best of all of them. I think the fit & finish were pretty much the same on all. They seem to all be very good and the dealer confirmed that. To me the Smith felt the best. I have always purchased a firearm by the way it feels in my hand first, then the other stuff comes into play. The whole package was $1095.00. Now it is time to get some accessories. Any suggestions?
Congrats. I would suggest some good mags. My favorite are usgi with green followers. A little pricey but second choice are the very rugged cammenga easy mags. I also find the CAT M4 bolt tool to be invaluable. A sturdy dewey one piece cleaning rod is a must.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...