Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

normally im not a fan of the 16" car barrel look but that is a nice looking rifle. sounds like a hell of a shooter too. congrats!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
went out to the mountain to shoot the beast today. It zeroed right out of the box lol. I did not have to adjust anything to hit clay targets at 25 yards. I will need to go to a proper range to see how tight my grouping will be with this upper. Btw this is a PSA upper not spike's. PSA did a great job on this upper, I absolutely love it. It is more accurate than my friend Ruger 556. We had to spend almost an hour to zero my friend ruger while my started hitting stuff right out of the box. Put 75 rounds of different brand 223 and 5.56 with 55grs and 62grs through the beast and no failure at all.

The MBUS i have is gen 2 according to PSA. I think they might have zeroed it for me before shipping it out because god that thing is dead on lol. Also the bolt carrier wasn't super dirty after 75 rounds. I am very HAPPY with this purchase. Absolutely love the gun. Waiting to get the Magpul sling for it as I just put the ASAP end plate on. Thinking about the vortex strikefire as well but I might just stick with this iron sight for awhile because it's so accurate already.

This PSA premium upper is REALLY premium without the price tag. I bought it for $469 with the MOE configuration. Dead on accurate out box. And PSA told me the barrel is lead-lapped so that means it doesn't require break in and is more accurate than normal barrel. Snakedriver I would recommend this upper to you instead of RRA. I know RRA is a good company but with the money you're going to spend I bet you can get much better configuration from PSA. They actually just introduced their CHF barrel upper with the TRX handrail for $499.99. Check out their website. They have some good config.
Sweet! I'll definitely check them out. There's nothing wrong with PSA in my mind. RRA just has lot's of different options that you can custom order in a complete upper. Right now, the config. I'm looking at in the RRA is right at $500, so the PSA is right there. Thanks luan ........and sorry for calling your PSA a Spike's.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
normally im not a fan of the 16" car barrel look but that is a nice looking rifle. sounds like a hell of a shooter too. congrats!!
Thanks. The MOE handguard really makes the rifle shines. This rifle looks exactly how I wanted it to be. I love it.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #24

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Congrats luan, good job picking out the upper, lower, lpk', the stock assembly, and then putting all together. Just like a 10 year old kid at Christmas with a new bike. Glad you are happy with it.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Sweet! I'll definitely check them out. There's nothing wrong with PSA in my mind. RRA just has lot's of different options that you can custom order in a complete upper. Right now, the config. I'm looking at in the RRA is right at $500, so the PSA is right there. Thanks luan ........and sorry for calling your PSA a Spike's.
RRA and stag are actually my top choices at first when I was looking for parts. However neither company was able to offer the specs I was looking for at the price I could afford. Neither company offer their barrel in 1:7 twist and chrome-lined. I am glad someone here pointed me to PSA and I was able to find the upper exactly to my expectation. What kind of configuration are you looking for on your AR? Because PSA is actually VERY flexible about their order since their uppers are built to order.. If they don't offer what you're looking for you can actually contact them and tell them they will tell you if it's possible and how much extra it would cost. That is how I get that MOE furniture on my upper. At first they did not offer the 16" Premium Upper with MOE but I contacted them and they said they can do it for $70 more.

I'm not trying to sell you to PSA here. I understand RRA is a very good company as well. I'm just letting you know how I feel after my first research about BIY AR-15. PSA gives you the best values for your money as of right now. But RRA or PSA you rifle will be awesome either way. I know I will definitely go to PSA again for my next build (Middy, CHF barrel, perhaps with Piston).

I might try to go to a range tomorrow so I can shoot at some paper target to see how good I can shoot with this gun. I'm still new at shooting sport so my accuracy isn't that great yet but I'll try my best.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #26

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Nice build luan87us! Glad to hear the PSA upper worked out so well. Those guys give you more for the money than anyone else right now. And glad to hear it shoots well right out of the box. A good AR should do just that, there shouldn't be any break in period, they should just work.

I think if you compare PSA with RRA and most others you'll find your $500 goes a lot farther.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Nice build luan87us! Glad to hear the PSA upper worked out so well. Those guys give you more for the money than anyone else right now. And glad to hear it shoots well right out of the box. A good AR should do just that, there shouldn't be any break in period, they should just work.

I think if you compare PSA with RRA and most others you'll find your $500 goes a lot farther.
Well said. And my upper actually only cost me $470. One interesting thing about this upper is it's actually lead-lapping which I did not expect at all from a budget upper. PSA is just giving away quality products here without overcharging really. I hope they will stay this way when they become well known like other companies.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
RRA and stag are actually my top choices at first when I was looking for parts. However neither company was able to offer the specs I was looking for at the price I could afford. Neither company offer their barrel in 1:7 twist and chrome-lined. I am glad someone here pointed me to PSA and I was able to find the upper exactly to my expectation. What kind of configuration are you looking for on your AR? Because PSA is actually VERY flexible about their order since their uppers are built to order.. If they don't offer what you're looking for you can actually contact them and tell them they will tell you if it's possible and how much extra it would cost. That is how I get that MOE furniture on my upper. At first they did not offer the 16" Premium Upper with MOE but I contacted them and they said they can do it for $70 more.

I'm not trying to sell you to PSA here. I understand RRA is a very good company as well. I'm just letting you know how I feel after my first research about BIY AR-15. PSA gives you the best values for your money as of right now. But RRA or PSA you rifle will be awesome either way. I know I will definitely go to PSA again for my next build (Middy, CHF barrel, perhaps with Piston).

I might try to go to a range tomorrow so I can shoot at some paper target to see how good I can shoot with this gun. I'm still new at shooting sport so my accuracy isn't that great yet but I'll try my best.
This is the configuration I looking at getting in an AR from RRA. It's the Mid-length A4 flattop. The price starts at $475, which seems very good. With my Stag lower built out I'll be at around $750 without optics using just the MBUS Gen2 rear sight. For what I consider to be a pretty nice AR build that a fine price.

Rock River Arms: Mid-Length Upper Half

Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #29

Default PSA upper

Finally a PSA upper review! I have been looking and could not find one. Glad to know that their uppers work well. I used their PSA lpk on my first build and it worked well. Now it's on to my 2nd build! Thanks. btw the rifle looks good. I too used a moe handguard and it's very light weight. Just added a magpul rail for my tango down grip and for my bi pod for longer precision. Works great I recommend it! Thanks again.

be nice to the man with the gun, you'd be crazy not to.

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennbee15 View Post
Finally a PSA upper review! I have been looking and could not find one. Glad to know that their uppers work well. I used their PSA lpk on my first build and it worked well. Now it's on to my 2nd build! Thanks. btw the rifle looks good. I too used a moe handguard and it's very light weight. Just added a magpul rail for my tango down grip and for my bi pod for longer precision. Works great I recommend it! Thanks again.
Thinking about putting their Polymer rail pieces and a MOE grip on my as well. I really love how the MOE furniture looks. I much prefer this look over the quad rails. If you're thinking of another build PSA is pushing out many new quality product. They now have CHF upper with many different configuration as well as a 20" rifle length too. I'm going to do a Middy from them once I have more juice haha.