You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Tango has a sticky on it:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-lube-your-ar-15-a-30881/

If the paint didn't come off with gentle rubbing I wouldn't do it again. I might suggest some acetone but I'm not really sure if it will act against the coating too. If you have some available, you could try on an out of sight spot first. Or give Spikes a call to their CS number.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #12

One more question. When I was installing the disconnector spring I put the bigger end on top. Will that cause a problem? Should I take out the assembly and but the bigger end down to the bottom?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1826 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 1769

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
One more question. When I was installing the disconnector spring I put the bigger end on top. Will that cause a problem? Should I take out the assembly and but the bigger end down to the bottom?
Yes, put that spring in right. You don't need disconnector trouble, believe me!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, like Quentin said you don't need trouble's. When the large end of the spring goes in, push it until you hear/feel it "click".
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #15

Took it out and fixed it. Couldn't believe myself how fast it took me to take it apart and put it back together this time lol. I can know say I am glad I built my own Lower receiver. May be I'll build my own upper soon for my next ar.

Last edited by luan87us; 07-11-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #16

Finally after much anticipation my upper has arrived. PSA 16" Premium Complete Upper with MOE handguard and rear MBUS, 4150 steel, 1:7 chrome lined lead-lapped barrel. This upper also comes with PSA premium BCG. The charging handle works, didn't look too special just a normal charging handle. The upper fit on the Spike's Tactical Lower perfectly as if it was manufactured by a same company. Going to test it in the field tomorrow with some of my friend. Since the MBUS was pre-installed I wonder if it zeroed or not. Enough text here come pictures:
First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build - AR-15 Discussion

Last edited by luan87us; 07-16-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Really nice job!!! I'm just getting starting with my first AR build right now. My stripped lower and all the lower parts are on the way. I went with a Stag lower and all RRA lower parts. I'm leaning towards getting a complete RRA upper from the factory too.

luan87us, tell me about the rear MBUS you have mounted on your Spikes upper. Is that a Magpul Gen 2 MBUS? Looks good, how does it work? The Magpul Gen 2 is the one I'm thinking of using.

I'll sure be interested to hear your range report!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #18

Great job luan. I really like the MOE look and the color fill. Range date is when?

I'm putting one together to leave at my brother in law's house so I don't have to fly back and forth with a gun case each time. He called yesterday and said the upper was just dropped off. I have the lower put together here in Fla., so when I fly up next month I'll take it with my checked baggage. And yes, photos will follow.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #19

Liked 1466 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Quote:
A secondary benefit of 2 stage triggers, no disconnector!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #20

went out to the mountain to shoot the beast today. It zeroed right out of the box lol. I did not have to adjust anything to hit clay targets at 25 yards. I will need to go to a proper range to see how tight my grouping will be with this upper. Btw this is a PSA upper not spike's. PSA did a great job on this upper, I absolutely love it. It is more accurate than my friend Ruger 556. We had to spend almost an hour to zero my friend ruger while my started hitting stuff right out of the box. Put 75 rounds of different brand 223 and 5.56 with 55grs and 62grs through the beast and no failure at all.

The MBUS i have is gen 2 according to PSA. I think they might have zeroed it for me before shipping it out because god that thing is dead on lol. Also the bolt carrier wasn't super dirty after 75 rounds. I am very HAPPY with this purchase. Absolutely love the gun. Waiting to get the Magpul sling for it as I just put the ASAP end plate on. Thinking about the vortex strikefire as well but I might just stick with this iron sight for awhile because it's so accurate already.

This PSA premium upper is REALLY premium without the price tag. I bought it for $469 with the MOE configuration. Dead on accurate out box. And PSA told me the barrel is lead-lapped so that means it doesn't require break in and is more accurate than normal barrel. Snakedriver I would recommend this upper to you instead of RRA. I know RRA is a good company but with the money you're going to spend I bet you can get much better configuration from PSA. They actually just introduced their CHF barrel upper with the TRX handrail for $499.99. Check out their website. They have some good config.

Last edited by luan87us; 07-16-2011 at 08:38 PM.