Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build

Finally ordered all my semi-BIY AR-15. I have only put the orders in today so I will post picture and progress as soon as I receive them. Hopefully not too long from now. Here is my configuration:

- Spike Tactical Stripped lower $79.95 + $22.50(FFL & BG) = $102.50
- Palmetto State Armory MOE LPK $52.95 + $7 SH = $70 (Ordered with my 92FS holster)
- PSA 16'' 5.56 NATO M4 Premium Upper w/MOE and MBUS $469.99 + $15 SH = $484.99
- Palmetto State Armory MOE Stock Kit $79.99 + $7 SH = $86.99
- 2 x Magpul PMAG new M-Rev 30rd - Flat Dark Earth $28.40
- Ar-15 Engraved Ejection Port (Zombie Hunter) $14.99

Total Cost: $779.5

Pictures coming soon!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

EXCELLENT!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Why can i edit this post but not my original post? o.O

Last edited by luan87us; 07-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Congrats...sounds like a nice SUR. I also like the way you have accepted your fate by deeming this your "first" build.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Good news! I'm real interested in how the Palmetto State Armory stuff works out...

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good news! I'm real interested in how the Palmetto State Armory stuff works out...
So far the MOE pistol grip is kinda tight to fit in the lower receiver. I haven't really try to put it all together yet as I'm waiting to go pick up my friend punch set to make it a bit easier.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
So far the MOE pistol grip is kinda tight to fit in the lower receiver. I haven't really try to put it all together yet as I'm waiting to go pick up my friend punch set to make it a bit easier.
The two that I did were the same way, you have to use a bit of force to push it on. Watch out for the selector spring, make sure it stays straight and doesn't kink.

I used PSA on two lowers and had one disconnector that gave me fits before I had it seated properly to insert the trigger pin. It was extremely tight fitting. Let me know how yours goes.

Have fun and good luck.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

Finished installing the lpk into the lower. Had some problem getting some of the roll pin in -_- those things are hard to go in. Scratches the lower receiver a bit by the rabbit ear when I was installing the god damn Trigger guard but it isn't noticeable, just some light chip i'm sure some touch up black paint will make it goes away. However I could not get the threaded screw to go all the way into the MOE trigger guard and I think it's tripped now so I can't take it out either but it seems to hold very tight I have gotten it down far enough I hope. Any suggestion on what to do with it?

It took me a bit over an hour but I had to run up and down grabbing different tools out of my tool box to get the job done and I was also chatting with other people while working on this. I think if I was to do it again it would be a lot smoother if not faster. I think my engineering/machining background kinda help me a bit with this since I'm pretty familiar with putting stuff together.

I also tried to paint the lettering and the logo. It looks pretty nice but I can't get all the white excess to clean off the lower. It still leave some white stain on it which I have tried cleaning up with different kind of paint remover. I used Acrylic paint and some toothpick for this task. I wish I know before hand that the white stains will not come off I would have been more careful and slowly write the letter with the tip of the toothpick instead of wiping it over the writings -_-! lesson learned. (Coloring letters on my friend Saiga 12 tomorrow)

Here is a good trick to install that front detention pin. I pushed one of my pin punch that fit the pivot pin ears from the other side and using my finger to push the detention pin flush then let the punch hold down pin. Then I slowly push the pivot pin in while keeping a lot of pressure on it to make sure the detention pin won't go flying off.

Overall I had fun and frustration assembling the lower receiver. Also learned a good deal of how it actually operates. My function check seems to be as exact as all the guides for it out there. One thing I would change is to cover up the area where I'll be putting in the roll pins so that I won't chip the receiver

Here come the pictures:

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey luan, looks good. I can see the marks near the trigger guard. A little black matte touch up paint and only you will know it's there. I put a little piece of tape around each area that I'm working on to prevent the &%#@&'s.

Try some "goo gone" or "goop off" with a q-tip to get rid of the white stain.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Hey luan, looks good. I can see the marks near the trigger guard. A little black matte touch up paint and only you will know it's there. I put a little piece of tape around each area that I'm working on to prevent the &%#@&'s.

Try some "goo gone" or "goop off" with a q-tip to get rid of the white stain.
I tried Goo Gone but doesn't seem to do much help. Should I try harder? Lol. I put a bit too much paint in those lettering. It fills all the way lol. But yeah for those scratch I'm pretty sure some touch up will completely cover it. I'm eagerly waiting for the rest of this ar to arrive next friday and go break some stuff with it up at the lake lol.

Do I need to do anything testing once I put the both halves together? Where do I need to lube ar? I really have no clue. I've been looking at guides and tutorial but they all said to just use a bit of clp?