First AR-15 Build...here I go! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR-15 Build...here I go!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default We are finished, my friends!

My stock finally arrived and 15 minutes later my lower was finished. And 2 minutes later my AR was finished. One could really go from stripped lower and complete upper to finished AR in less time than it would take to watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity back to back. And if you stick around to watch the late run of Glenn Beck's show, you'll remember why you decided to build it.

All the function checks are a go. I just need to get to a range that actually goes out to more than 25 yards. I think I'm off to my father-in-law's in a couple weeks so we'll go to his range and test out my new RKBA Protector.

A range report shall follow then.

p7170001.jpg   p7170002.jpg   p7170003.jpg  

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #32

Here's a question about storage. My safe has less room than I'd like. I don't have children so I don't have to worry about safety/access. I could loaded firearms around and no worries. Except I hate the idea of ever putting a firearm on the street if I leave something out and it gets stolen. So I will be locking this puppy up. But I only have room, really, for one long gun ready to go at a moment's notice.

Should I keep the AR put together and loaded for SD? I would think not, right? Over penetration could be a major problem, right, for .223? My go-to is still the shottie, correct?

I'm asking because it feels a little weird having a dismantled firearm around (close to useless), but I think I'll have to separate the upper and lower to fit it in my safe since the slot for a single upright long gun is filled at the moment with the shotgun.

Am I on the right track, here? If a BG comes in my home, this AR is NOT the right weapon if I have other choices, correct?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #33

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

It only takes 2 pins to assemble an AR lower with the upper That's provided it is not your primary defense weapon.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 07-18-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #34

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Actually, at close ranges, I read the FBI report saying .223 vs. 12 guage and pistol calls is a lot SAFER in regards to over penetration.
Plus, say you use your shotgun with 15 Pellets of 00Bk, and first round misses... Thats 15 pellets you just sent off to who knows where.
I sleep with my ar

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For home defense you cant go wrong w/ a shotgun. Easy to get on target and more or less point and shoot. At close range theres not a whole lot of need for precise aiming. Id keep the AR put up but ready to go "in-case"

Old 07-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #36

Well, what dog20000 says is true: it only takes two pins. It would take, without stress no more than 30 seconds to go hot with a charged round. In a real situation, I could imagine it taking twice that. But I think I'd be well enough protected with a 12-gauge and my wife on 9mm for most situations.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #37

Default First 30 rounds!

Alright, this isn't really a range report because I didn't put up any targets to set zero or anything, but I'll tell you my first story of this great rifle.

Next week I'm going on a shoot with my wife and father-in-law. I didn't really want that to be my first experience since I wouldn't know how to instruct without personal experience.

So I drove out of the city limits (way out...) to an abandoned rock quarry in the Mt. Hood National Forest that sloryde told me about. When I finally got there I was the only one, but millions of rounds had been fired there before me, shells and casings were everywhere, as were shot-up cardboard boxes for hundreds of yards, with targets attached and shot up. It was cool! Nothing like the crack of a high-powered rifle in the beauty of a breezy forest!

I just fired 30 rounds (10 rounds of Hornady TAP 77grain, 20 rounds of BVAC HP 77grain). Two main impressions:

1) I don't know what I expected, but this is a high-powered rifle, no doubt. The caliber begins with .22, but it ain't no .22lr! It was a solid shooter! I loved the feeling of a rifle against my shoulder. Remember, this is my first time. I've fired a shotgun before. It wasn't quite like that. If recoil can occupy a length of time, a shotgun recoil takes a lot of time to finish. The recoil of an AR was as strong, but for a much shorter period of time. Very snappy. Strong, but manageable!

2) I'm using Yankee Hill Machines BUIS. They were pretty close to zero out of the box. Again, I was just aiming out at boxes, so a hit just required 5-10 MOA, but even 200 yards out and I was close enough for government work. Next weekend, it'll be nice working on zeroing in this new friend.

I am wondering about these AR sights. Being so used to handgun sights that give horizontal and vertical information with which to line up, AR sights give a circle (peep hole) and a post. One peep is smaller (for 200+ yards) and the other is bigger (for less than 200 yds.). I felt much more comfortable with the smaller hole for all distances, though. I'm assuming the tip of the post must be centered in the peep hole, correct? I wish, at the least, the peep hole had horizontal and vertical hash marks to help with centering the post in the peep sight. Any thoughts?

To anyone even considering building an AR: this is something you must experience to understand fully. It was easy to build! It is super fun to shoot!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have looked at this AR a couple time and each time it looks better and better. Youve really put together a nice clean looking rifle.

The thing about the peep sights is if you had a vert marking on the rear the front post would be hard to see. From what I was tought the small peep sight is for normal shooting conditions and the larger for low light conditions. When using the larger there is a POI shift if Im remembering correctly. Its been a while so I could be wrong.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #39

I just ordered a red-dot sight from MidwayUSA. It was 50% off so I couldn't go wrong (or so I think now...). It only costs $50 until Friday. Anybody have experience with this thing?

BSA Holographic Red Dot Sight 33mm Heads Up Display 4-Pattern Reticle (2 MOA Dot, Crosshair with 1 MOA Dot, Open Crosshair with 1 MOA Dot, 25 MOA Circle with 6 MOA Dot) Matte - MidwayUSA

It is called "Holographic" but it doesn't seem that it will compare with other sights, much less compete with those like EOTech. But it says it has a 1 MOA dot as one of its 4 reticles, so if that is true, it is a much better deal than red dots in this price range that offer 3 MOA as the smallest dot. Some even have a 6 MOA dot. YIKES!!!

Any thoughts?

product-photo.jpeg  

Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #40

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

As long as you aren't going to be banging it around a killhouse, speed-slinging it over your back in a balls out run for a Zodiac, or being exposed to a near miss with an RPG, you should be fine.

The other units you listed are built to be able to withstand that kind of punishment.

As an example, my EoTech is made of extreme grade aluminum that can withstand being run over by a Jeep and the "holographic" sight will work even if the front of my scope is covered in mud, blood or oil. It's a mil-spec combat unit, hence the price.

With this unit, it's going to be a little more flimsy, it might eat batteries a bit faster and it might not work if the front glass gets slimed.

As for 1, 3 or 6 MOA - you have to remember what the heads up units are designed for:

Putting a red dot in the chest/head of a man sized target, at CQB distances ( 10 yards, 15 yards ), and making that target go away.

You aren't trying to shoot the center of quarters out at 150 yards at a Sniper Challenge.

Give it a try and see what you think. You may love it, or you may want to upgrade it in the future. Either way, you got a good deal on a unit that will serve the needs for what this weapon was built for right now.

Give us a review if you don't mind.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-30-2010 at 01:42 AM.