First AR-15 Build...here I go! - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

First AR-15 Build...here I go!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Recommendations for great deals on a lower parts kit!

As I've mentioned over the past few days, I ordered a stripped lower from PSA and it should be arriving in the next few days. In the mean time, I'd like to find a great deal on a great lower parts kit...maybe even with a 2-stage trigger to match my new Colt.

The object of my first build is the opposite of my 24" Pony... short, stubby, light, tactical.

Does anyone know of any kits on-sale? Recommendations?
Thanks guys! Great resource here and I can't wait to get my build underway!

Last edited by JeffCooper; 09-14-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #122

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I went with a Rock River Arms lower parts kit. You can get it with a 2-stage trigger. Their triggers aren't the best you can buy, but I've heard some good things around here about them, especially at the price. I don't know if they're having a sale, but a LPK is not a big-ticket item.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #123

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
I went with a Rock River Arms lower parts kit. You can get it with a 2-stage trigger. Their triggers aren't the best you can buy, but I've heard some good things around here about them, especially at the price. I don't know if they're having a sale, but a LPK is not a big-ticket item.
I spent some time looking around on the web. I saw $300 triggers and $65-$170 parts kits. I see why you went with the RRA parts kit. I saw some around on sale with the 2-stage trigger for like $125. Can some one talk me out of it? Why wouldn't I ???? This would mean a complete lower sans stock for $175. I do think the 2-stage trigger would be a good fit for me for consistency sake if for nothing else (my pony has a nm 2-stage trigger as well). Save my sanity and tell me that the RRA kit isn't one of the best values in AR15s??
Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #124

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The RRA stock trigger is gritty and heavy. I wish I had put a little more money into the LPK and gotten the RRA 2-stage LPK. The only other regret is that I wish I had done a little more looking before buying the cheapest stock. That's $70 I wish I had plowed into a nicer Magpul with a QD mount and an adjustable cheek weld.

Buy the RRA LPK with 2-stage. It will get you far enough...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #125
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good for you Chris.

I have enjoyed every 1911 I ever built, and every AR I have ever built. I don't build as many as I once did...mainly for friends now.

I must warn you though....it becomes an addiction. You get to wanting one "just a little different" from the last one, or you find something you'd like to tweak, and BOOM...you have a safe full of AR's. Not that that's a bad thing of course.

The last one I built was a 10" SBR. I liked it so much I sold it...LOL. Seriously...It would have made a GREAT entry weapon, but living out in the desert as I do, I like a 16" as it can reach out to 300m pretty effectively. The 10" was a 100m rifle at best. It just couldn't stabilize even heavier bullets very well.

Anyway, I digress...have fun and keep building.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #126

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
Good for you Chris.

I have enjoyed every 1911 I ever built, and every AR I have ever built. I don't build as many as I once did...mainly for friends now.

I must warn you though....it becomes an addiction. You get to wanting one "just a little different" from the last one, or you find something you'd like to tweak, and BOOM...you have a safe full of AR's. Not that that's a bad thing of course.

The last one I built was a 10" SBR. I liked it so much I sold it...LOL. Seriously...It would have made a GREAT entry weapon, but living out in the desert as I do, I like a 16" as it can reach out to 300m pretty effectively. The 10" was a 100m rifle at best. It just couldn't stabilize even heavier bullets very well.

Anyway, I digress...have fun and keep building.
Are you referring to accuracy or effect on target? There have been a few guys experiencing good accuracy out of a SBR well out to 500 and beyond. I have no personal experience but the reports come from trusted individuals and there is video to back up their claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #127

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shortening the barrel shouldn't have much of an effect on accuracy within reasonable distances, but in a 10" your velocity is going in the pooper out past a couple hundred meters.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #128

With all this talk on here about building a AR I went and picked up a RRA stripped lower this weekend. Now I just have to decide what LPK and trigger to get. I do whant made in USA. I am building a 16" with 6 position stock. Not much of a target gun but for when SHTF. so I need it to be reliable. I have read alot of posts but I have read so much I am confused. I want somthing as good as colt and maybe smoother.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #129

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty123 View Post
With all this talk on here about building a AR I went and picked up a RRA stripped lower this weekend. Now I just have to decide what LPK and trigger to get. I do whant made in USA. I am building a 16" with 6 position stock. Not much of a target gun but for when SHTF. so I need it to be reliable. I have read alot of posts but I have read so much I am confused. I want somthing as good as colt and maybe smoother.
Daniel Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #130

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can get a lpk kit from model a1 sales I have built several and used theirs and had no problems I think think the dpms lower is just as good as the rra IMO