First AR-15 Build...here I go! - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR-15 Build...here I go!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Good idea to get those spare, Chris! I have spares because one time I loosened the receiver extension forgetting about the buffer retainer pin. The retainer and the spring shot across the room and it took quite a while to find both.

Actually I think it's a good idea to have a spare LPK which of course would give you spares of these and many other small parts. Also an excuse to buy a better LPK so you can upgrade parts like the notched hammer while at it. Stag has a good kit for around $69.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #92

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

While it could not hurt to have an extra in your range bag, I think it would be WAY more likely that you would lose it while changing a stock than having it just break off on you.

It's job, really, is to have a top hat that stops the buffer from coming out when the weapon is open. It performs a minor purpose, but with the upper and lower together, your buffer is slamming back to force your BCG to chamber the next round.

Thus, it going forward is what it is designed to do and with the weapon closed, I don't think it's going to stop operation unless you are doing hundreds and hundreds of rounds in a short period of time.

GRANTED / DISCLAIMER:

I have never removed the buffer detent and spring to attempt this hypothesis, but it stands to reason.

Getting another to have would be cheap and wouldn't hurt to have in any event.

JD

Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #93

Liked 264 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Always a good idea to keep a spare set of springs and pins. I always keep a complete lower set. Just to stay safe, I replace the lower parts, (fcg springs, pins) every 1000 rounds. I don't think they need it that often, but I don't like to wait for a problem to change them out. But that is just me. Most shooters can go a lot longer and never have an issue. I just think it is more cost effective for me to prevent problems before there is an issue.
Sorry to digress; I have the "Monk" syndrome.
Never heard of the buffer pin breaking, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good idea to get those spare, Chris! I have spares because one time I loosened the receiver extension forgetting about the buffer retainer pin. The retainer and the spring shot across the room and it took quite a while to find both.

Actually I think it's a good idea to have a spare LPK which of course would give you spares of these and many other small parts. Also an excuse to buy a better LPK so you can upgrade parts like the notched hammer while at it. Stag has a good kit for around $69.
I agree 100% with you on both issues. Darn little springs always shoot across the room, so I try to keep spares of all the little !@#$% parts.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #95

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Thanks guys! The only reason I didn't go ahead and buy an entire lower parts kit is because I couldn't imagine a breakage of the trigger, hammer, and sear.

Since I just bought a couple DPMS spring kits and a DPMS pin kit, I think I'll just figure out what little parts are in the LPK and not in my DPMS kits. The buffer pin/spring is one, I guess.

But since nobody has heard of it breaking, I'll just wait until my next order for something else. That "top hat" just seems so flimsy in relation to the forces going on around it. Apparently Stoner designed it well enough for its purpose.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Thanks guys! The only reason I didn't go ahead and buy an entire lower parts kit is because I couldn't imagine a breakage of the trigger, hammer, and sear.

Since I just bought a couple DPMS spring kits and a DPMS pin kit, I think I'll just figure out what little parts are in the LPK and not in my DPMS kits. The buffer pin/spring is one, I guess.

But since nobody has heard of it breaking, I'll just wait until my next order for something else. That "top hat" just seems so flimsy in relation to the forces going on around it. Apparently Stoner designed it well enough for its purpose.
Trigger, hammer, and "sear"? Do you mean disconnector? but yeah you are right. They don't ever break. This is the first time I have ever heard of a buffer detente breaking, but s*** happens. The only reason I keep a spare one of those detents around is because I have lost a couple.
Safe shooting.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #97

take a look at jse surplus thats where i bought my complete upper and could not be happier

Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #98

Default New question about this rifle!!

I have been feeling a little light in the rifle department and was beginning to think I should get a rifle with a larger round. After some playing around in my brain about an AK, a bolt gun, or a different upper for this AR, I just decided that upgrading this AR would be the best route.

I'm wondering about a Free-float Quad-Rail Handguard and a scope. If I only had about $250 to spend, would you spend it on a scope or on a new handguard?

Right now I'm only using the iron sights so a scope would be really helpful. I think a 1-4x would be best, but I'd love your thoughts.

If I bought the handguard, I'd probably also buy a few things to attach to the rails like a foreend grip, covers and such. Since my gas block is YHM, I think a YHM handguard would be best, but what are your thoughts? JD suggests a free-float as one of the most important parts to upgrade for increased accuracy.

I can't budget any more than $250 this summer, so Handguard or a Scope?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I have been feeling a little light in the rifle department and was beginning to think I should get a rifle with a larger round. After some playing around in my brain about an AK, a bolt gun, or a different upper for this AR, I just decided that upgrading this AR would be the best route.

I'm wondering about a Free-float Quad-Rail Handguard and a scope. If I only had about $250 to spend, would you spend it on a scope or on a new handguard?

Right now I'm only using the iron sights so a scope would be really helpful. I think a 1-4x would be best, but I'd love your thoughts.

If I bought the handguard, I'd probably also buy a few things to attach to the rails like a foreend grip, covers and such. Since my gas block is YHM, I think a YHM handguard would be best, but what are your thoughts? JD suggests a free-float as one of the most important parts to upgrade for increased accuracy.

I can't budget any more than $250 this summer, so Handguard or a Scope?
Personally, I would go with the scope. You can change the handguards at a later date. There is always a company with a cheaper version of the handguard you want if you shop around. I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy between the normal handguards and free float, but everyone has an opinion or two. Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #100

I just ordered a Nikon M-223 1-4x20mm with Point Blank Reticle from Optics Planet.

It was $279 with free shipping. Plus, they have a deal until May 31, 2011 that you can receive a $100 Nikon mount for free.

Plus I entered a coupon code (opiv5of) I found online and got the whole shebang for $265!

When I finally get out to a range with the scope I'll add a little review to this thread. Plus, I'll add a pic!