Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First AR-15 Build...here I go! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-15-build-here-i-go-28708/)

CHLChris 06-25-2010 05:44 PM

First AR-15 Build...here I go!

With this country a-changin' and my RKBA muscle a-twitchin', I started looking for a rifle that could hunt small game and repel zombie hordes, if necessary. At first I thought the Mini-14. But for just a $100-200 more I could build my own black rifle. Woohoo!

Here I go.

For just a bit of background, since I hope this thread is an inspiration to others in similar shoes, I am pretty new to firearms. A couple years ago I saw something on the horizon I didn't like. I bought a handgun, started training (it's a never-ending process...), and got licensed to carry a concealed handgun. I take that role in my community very seriously and carry everywhere it is allowed.

Just 3 months ago I didn't even know I could actually build my own rifle. I still don't know how to do it. But I can rip out a kitchen to the studs and do the whole thing, so I can figure this one out, I'm sure. And with the help of others on this forum I will succeed.

I plan to keep photos coming along with a description of my efforts. This won't be a tutorial thread. I'll leave that to others. It will be a "You can do it, too!" thread. I believe I can, therefore I WILL!

CHLChris 06-25-2010 05:49 PM

Bought the stripped lower

2 Attachment(s)
I went to my local gun shop, Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, OR. I was thinking I would order something online and pay for the transfer, but that would have totaled out around $130, so I bought something they had on sale!

Surplus Ammo & Arms, Lakewood, WA, stripped lower $80 plus $10 OR fee

The only weird thing is that the lower doesn't say "fire" and "safe", it has picture icons, see below.

Total: $90

canebrake 06-25-2010 05:54 PM

Great decision, you will enjoy the experience. I recommend you buy a complete upper and build the lower.

Go slow and always ask questions rather than charging ahead into the unknown.

Also it's good to ask for recommendations when shopping for a parts. It gives you some great info on other's experiences and saves you time and money by hearing what NOT to buy!

Keep us in the loop.

CHLChris 06-25-2010 06:10 PM

Ordered everything else!

I ordered the rest of the parts from four online vendors: Del-Ton (DT), MidwayUSA (Mid), Rock River Arms (RRA), and Cheaper Than Dirt (CtD).

Lower:

Lower Receiver Parts Kit, Single Stage Trigger, Hogue Grip $90 (RRA)

RRA 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock, Mil-spec, Black $95 (RRA)

Upper:

16" Mid-Length Barrel Assembly Flattop with YHM Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block (comes with Bolt&Carrier and Charging Handle) $425 (DT)

Yankee Hill Machine Flip-up Rear Sight $80 (CtD)

Mags:

MagPul Pmag 30-Round ($14 x 3) $43 (Mid)

TOTAL for AR-15 rifle: $823

Ammo (first round of purchasing, at least):

Hornady TAP PD 75-grain JHP, 80 rounds $84 (Mid)

BVAC 69-grain HPBT, 300 rounds $159 (CtD)

Tools:

Punch Set 8-piece Brass $11 (Mid)

Model 1 Armorer's Actin Block with Lower Receiver Action Block $45 (Mid)

Tactical CAR Stock Wrench $6 (RRA)

Don't forget shipping and NRA round-up donations! For all 4 vendors, I paid a total of $74.

Total for completely functioning, in my hand, enough ammo for one gang of zombies, AR-15:

$1200.

I'll add pictures as each step gets built. And a range report will be here soon!

hunter Joe 06-25-2010 06:45 PM

Chris, here is a link I used. Just go to the side bar to find the lower build.

hunter Joe 06-25-2010 06:48 PM

That first link didn't work as planned. Try these.

Dillinger 06-25-2010 07:30 PM

Excellent Chris!! I love seeing folks that have never done this before take the initiative and jump into a build. :)

I am going to STICKY this thread so others can follow the examples of my padwan Junho and you into the world of the AR.

Looking forward to more pictures and a write up of your experience. I am willing to bet it will be positive.

JD

dunerunner 06-25-2010 08:56 PM

Subscribed to this thread! Way to go Chris!!

Quentin 06-25-2010 10:34 PM

Good luck with your new build, Chris!

I hestitate to bring this up but am a little concerned with the Del-Ton upper and wonder if maybe a little more money invested in a Spikes Tactical or even BCM middy might not be wise. But you're already ordered and may already be locked in - if so I hope the Del-Ton proves to be of high quality. I don't expect it to be bad but that's the part of the rifle you really want to be top notch. Do you have a link to it?

Here's a link to a Spikes middy. The specs are outstanding for the price and worth comparing to the Del-Ton. (Though the Spikes has a fixed front sight, not flip up.)
Spike's Tactical 16 Midlength LE Upper (5.56) [STU5035] - $535.00 : Spikes Tactical Aim Surplus sells them for about $480 I think.

Glasshartt 06-26-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 306065)
Good luck with your new build, Chris!

I hestitate to bring this up but am a little concerned with the Del-Ton upper and wonder if maybe a little more money invested in a Spikes Tactical or even BCM middy might not be wise. But you're already ordered and may already be locked in - if so I hope the Del-Ton proves to be of high quality. I don't expect it to be bad but that's the part of the rifle you really want to be top notch. Do you have a link to it?

The SUR that Scubie built me has both the upper and lower from DEL-TON. It is very tight and shoots like a dream. Their quality seems to be on par with the CMMG one he built for himself.

My next one (7.62 X 39) that I will build myself has a Sharps lower. I am not sure what upper I am going to get.