Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First AR-15

Alright so I'm planning on buying my first AR-15 sometime later this year.
I like to plan far, far ahead. So I'm asking you AR addicts...

This rifle is for a SHTF scenario and to thin out the Coyote population.
So what's the best stock AR-15 for under 1,000$?
I'd like to start building on my own but for my first AR I'd like to buy a stock rifle just to get the feel of AR's. So if you have any knowledge of stock AR's for beginners then please post the models that you'd recommend to me.

EDIT: I would like an AR specifically chambered in 5.56 with a chrome lined 18 or 20inch barrel, 1'8twist, flat top with or without carrying handle, mid-length gas system, a collapsible stock, and I'm very picky about how the handguard looks for some reason. I like the handguard on the Stag model T2. But I like the Stag model 3 better without the front post.

I dont know, guys. Help me out a little!

Last edited by GreyEclipse; 02-20-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you really want to get the FEEL of ARs, go handle one at your gun shop, but if you really want to KNOW one, build you own. You'll know how it works MUCH better and save yourself a little money as well. There are a multitude of people in the forum that are happy to help you with the build, plus there are free videos all over the web. I did it, it's incredibly easy, especially if you buy the complete upper already assembled and put together all the lower yourself.

However, if you're stuck on buying one already assembled, check out the Rock River website Rock River Arms:. They have one of the best deals going right now...a sale on a few variations of their "Operator" series, with your choice of a few accessories/upgrades. I think the sale lasts until mid-April. If I didn't already have one, that's where I'd go....and still might.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 to what ^ he said, about the Rock River Operators Rock River Operator Specials

If not them, then check out this link: Stag Options

about half way down, and read my suggestion about how to do a STAG for under $850.

I think for the price, you'll be very happy going with Rock River or the Stag, until you get the nerve up to build one yourself

So easy, a caveman can do it. Several on here are proof

Slo

Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know just how you think. You sound just like I did afew years back. I started with a heavy varmint version Rock River that I got a real buy on and thought I could live with. Excellant accuracy but way to heavy to carry. I bought a flat top with the high frount sight as everyone told me that I would not beable to see it through a scope. Another mistake. I had it taken off and finily had the rifle I wanted. Rock River now makes a model they call the Coyote and it is exactly what you want, I`m pretty sure. Get it with the match trigger. They are not cheap, but it will be alot cheaper in the long run than buying something cheaper and changeing it 3 or 4 times. I put a good friend of mine on one of them and I think you could get his wife away from him before you could get that gun.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Double Star I bought a couple years ago. It's nothing fancy but it shoots really well. And come in a good bit under a grand.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Alright so I'm planning on buying my first AR-15 sometime later this year.

This rifle is for a SHTF scenario and to thin out the Coyote population.

I dont know, guys. Help me out a little!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I know just how you think. You sound just like I did a few years back. Rock River now makes a model they call the Coyote and it is exactly what you want, I`m pretty sure...
Boy...I can't wait until they put out a "Blue Whale/Cape Buffalo/African Elephant and all around anti-bad guy/terrorist" model...then I can really do some shootin'

Okay...don't go getting ur or anything...I'm just funnin' ya.

Maybe it's just me, but I think you could go poodle poppin' with just about any model AR you want to, but hey...if the name grabs ya, go for it.

Slo

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

What slowryde45 said: build your own. You don't need to build everything piece by piece (not that there's anything wrong with that) but buy an upper you like, buy a lower you like, pick out your stock and grip and put 'em together. It isn't hard and doesn't require any special tools. You'll save money, get what you want, and you'll learn a thing or two.

If you do decide to build from the ground up, there are a bunch here who can help with any and every aspect.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The biggest knock against the AR platform is they are "fragile" and they "don't run dirty like an AK'.

Well, the best way to combat that is to build one, take one apart, service one. Get to know the weapon. Get to know what moves, how it moves and why it does what it does. Then your maintenence will insure that you don't run into those "other guy" problems mentioned above.

And, I'll go ahead and say it, you need to buck up with your man card and build one.

We have had about 20 or 30 guys just like you, never built a gun before, don't understand the inner workings of the platform, didn't know where to start, and they have all built really good weapons that do what they intended them for in the first place.

One of our little padwans, Junho, came here a snot nosed college kid with limited funds and no ideas where to start. He wanted to buy a used AR to save money. He ended up building a great AR for about the same money, he learned a hell of a lot about the platform and now he is making changes and upgrading equipment all the time. The kid is practically ready for the Armorer's Course Certification.

Check out the build threads. You can build a hell of a lower and buy a great upper and have money left over for ammo.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-22-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i want an ar like this...

ar15.jpg  

Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i want an ar like this...