First AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > First AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First AR

A little back history about myslef and the AR platform.... I was first introduced to it when my dad (LEO) brought his issued AR home and since we live in the country we were able to shoot it before he went to qualify the next day and ever since then I have wanted one so bad. It was all decked out with a red dot, light and flip up sights....the whole nine yards..... from then on, I would always shoot it when he brought it home and it was a big surprise because I always went to school the next day and bragged that I got to shoot an AR! Needless to say that was over 10 years ago and when my dad retired he was able to get an AR just like this duty one and I still shoot it from time to time but now I want my own one

I am still new to the cleaning and take down and rebuild part of it though. So that where I hope you guys can help and that is why I wanted to start with a complete upper and lower.

So after some heavy research and reading a bunch of threads here, I am convinced a complete lower and upper from PSA would be a good solid gun for me to get. It would also be in my buget.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/complete-psa-ar15-lower-moe-edition-black.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-m4-premium-16-cmv-cl-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

So I am reaching out to all of you guys and gals to tell me the pros and cons of this set up. I am also looking for opinions on what else would be good to add to this or change. Also this will be used for.....target pratice, SHTF, 50yrds-about 400-500yrds, practical traning, hunting, etc. Basicly I want this gun to be my one and only go to rifle. Thanks

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact.

Last edited by Guns-N-Ammo; 05-14-2014 at 02:04 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #2

Liked 249 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Nice picks the only thing I would suggest is to go with a mid length gas system. It has a "less sharp" recoil and allows me to take faster followup shots. Check out the link below.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

This is still the lower cost PTAC line, The quality is good but not up to the FN milspec barrel on the next lower. Unfortunately it out of stock right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-5-56-nato-stainless-steel-hammer-forged-upper.html

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Guns-N-Ammo Likes This 
Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Nice picks the only thing I would suggest is to go with a mid length gas system. It has a "less sharp" recoil and allows me to take faster followup shots. Check out the link below.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

This is still the lower cost PTAC line, The quality is good but not up to the FN milspec barrel on the next lower. Unfortunately it out of stock right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-5-56-nato-stainless-steel-hammer-forged-upper.html
So your saying go for the one that is out of stock? Do you know how much it is? Ballpark?

dwmiller Likes This 
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1652

I don't think it gets much better than that for a first AR.

*Caution* AR's tend to breed, quickly!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns-N-Ammo View Post
So your saying go for the one that is out of stock? Do you know how much it is? Ballpark?
I've seen them for ~$325 with the Bolt and charging handle. If you lurk and wait for a blemished version ~$225-250. Really the PTAC mid length on the top link is good, just we have sooo many hyper-picky members that anything less than "brand X" milspec won't do at all....

This link has an FN barrel, Way more details and specs on the barrel, see, it must be better....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-14-7-chf-mid-length-lightweight-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 05-14-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
I've seen them for ~$325 with the Bolt and charging handle. If you lurk and wait for a blemished version ~$225-250. Really the PTAC mid length on the top link is good, just we have sooo many hyper-picky members that anything less than "brand X" milspec won't do at all....
LOL thats ok to be hyper-picky......want to do it right! Do they make that same barrel in 16"? How quick is PSA about getting things back in stock?

Last edited by Guns-N-Ammo; 05-14-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns-N-Ammo View Post
LOL thats ok to be hyper-picky......want to do it right! Do they make that same barrel in 16"? How quick is PSA about getting things back in stock?
PSA is kind of hit and miss about restocking. Especially since things are really just getting back to normal. It might be quicker to order the PTAC now and rebarrel it if you feel the need after firing it. I really don't think you will, this barrel should last 20,000 rds or more with no loss of accuracy...

Daniel Defense, and Yankee Hill Machine and CMMG make great barrels for this idea. Light profile and mid gas system seems to be what most of us here agree on. The other details might take some FTF wrangling...

Last edited by dwmiller; 05-14-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

I would definitely suggest the mid length also. I would stick with the PSA "Premium" line with the FN barrel. The PTAC line is kind of hit and miss with reviews. It is worth spending a little more for the known quality. IMO

I have 4 PSA uppers and all have been excellent here are two of my PSA builds. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1400035723.801065.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1400035751.161288.jpg

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I like that top picture!!! Dumb question though.....how can you tell if its a mid-length gas system?

Last edited by Guns-N-Ammo; 05-14-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #10

Easy answer look for the words Mid-length in the description. Its between the carbine short gas tube and the rifle full length tube so "mid".

System______________Barrel Length_____________________Port Distance
Pistol________________< 10 inches______________________4 inches
Carbine_______________10-18 inches____________________7 inches
Mid__________________14-20 inches____________________9 inches
Rifle__________________20+ inches_____________________12 inches

Last edited by dwmiller; 05-14-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Guns-N-Ammo Likes This