Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   First AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-102981/)

taps50 01-19-2014 05:00 AM

First AR

First off id like to say hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Anyway back to my question, I am about to buy my first AR and would like some advice as to which I sound get. I have a 750-800 price range. Ive been thinking of a DPMS AR, thoughts?

sweeper22 01-20-2014 08:31 PM

Brace yourself, for I'm about to give you the perfect answer to your question. At first sight, it might not be the answer you're looking for...but this is all really easy. You can and will succeed if you take this route. And the finished product will be about $400 better (in terms of parts and materials) than an $800 DPMS.

• If you want to get the most bang for your buck...
  • If you want a $750 purchase that's good as-is, but also worthy of future upgrades...
  • If you value the opinion of some random dude on the internet (me), it's what I'd buy...

Build your own, and buy this. The two most critical parts in an AR (barrel and BCG) are excellent in this setup. Truth be told, a lot of people pay more for similar quality in those two parts alone to what this whole setup costs. Yes, really.

Building is easy. With a little help from YouTube, you'll successfully complete your rifle in an hour or two. And you'll have a better understanding of how your gun works. And the quality parts throughout this gun will actually warrant further investment if you decide on upgrades down the line.

So if you buy this 'rifle kit' for $500, all that's left to buy is a stripped lower receiver ($80-180), rear flip sight (Magpul ~ $50), and then mags and ammo. See what your local gun stores have in stock for stripped lowers and simply buy one you like. When you buy it, ask them if you can bring your rifle in to tighten the castle nut (the only necessary tool you probably don't have at home) when complete. My guess is they'll happily oblige. The only other tools needed are a hammer, screwdriver, and a basic punch set ($5-10 @Walmart/etc if you need one). Building a lower is literally like playing 'Legos'.

eatmydust 01-20-2014 08:40 PM

A very good and reasonably priced option is the S&W AR-15 Sport. These can be found in the $650 range, may take some looking. Backed by S&W, high quality and leaves enough left over for several hundred rounds of ammo.

sweeper22 01-20-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1487617)
A very good and reasonably priced option is the S&W AR-15 Sport. These can be found in the $650 range, may take some looking. Backed by S&W, high quality and leaves enough left over for several hundred rounds of ammo.

Best cheapo 'complete' deal out there.

If you want cheap and are unwilling to build, this is surely the way to go. So long as it's $700 or less (out the door), it's a viable option in my opinion. Any more, and other options start to creep in.

BRL 01-20-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1487617)

And a factory warranty that comes with a complete new rifle purchase is always desirable just in case.

Bronco141414 01-20-2014 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't really be talking but i would stay away from the S&W Sport models as they do not have a forward assist nor a dust cover (Many are going to reply to me saying that those aren't needed for the range but its just my opinion!). I was also looking at the DPMS line but if you look further into the company there are mixed opinions. And to add DPMS does not have a lifetime warranty. My first (and current) AR15 Is the Del-Ton Echo 316 with magpul out of factory. When i purchased mine i was tied between the Echo and the DPMS. I got tired of stressing over it and shot for the purchase. And i am very happy with it. Sturdy, straight shooting gun with zero misfires after plenty of rounds down the barrel. I got mine through a link on slickguns.com (I forgot who recommended that sight to me on here, but THANK YOU) for just over $700. Good luck on your decision!

SkilletFan24 01-21-2014 04:25 AM

I definitely think it's a good idea to build your first AR. That's what I did. I learned so much about my rifle that way, and had a good time doing it

Dahamp2003 01-21-2014 09:31 PM

I second the PSA deal. Just had a friend buy it yesterday. You really can't beat that for the price. It's just not gonna happen. And you really should build it. I was scared to when I started. Literally watched a youtube video while I did it for the first time and came out perfectly. Pretty easy.

Ez2b 01-21-2014 09:32 PM

You guys building from 80 percent lower?

EZ

taps50 01-21-2014 09:45 PM

Thank you all for your input, i actually do take random strangers input seriously. You all know more about them than I do, for now anyway lol. I will be looking into both the PSA build, and building my own. I have been on slickguns.com (or how ever you spell it) but I'm a little apprehensive of buying a gun online without being able to look at it in person.