Finished building my first ever AR. =)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Finished building my first ever AR. =)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Finished building my first ever AR. =)

Well, I decided I wanted an AR at the worst possible time: a week after Obama was elected. I pored over all kinds of interwebz forums and asked a lot of questions, and decided that I wanted my first rifle to be my Katrina gun.

I'm a machinist/programmer by day, so I decided to machine my own receivers from raw forgings available for $25 a pop at DS Arms.

It was slow at the shop, so I had open machines available to get the lowers done, but unfortunately, have still not been able to do the uppers. I ordered a stripped flat top upper from Model 1 Sales for now, and time/machine availability permitting, I'll get the uppers done.

So over the course of several months, I ordered part by part, until I had everything. I had to wait a month for the LPK to arrive, and 3 months for the barrel!

I made a joke about engraving emoticons on the gun a while back, and when I finally did engrave it two weeks ago, I decided the emoticon route was prudent, and would earn me the respect of my AR-toting peers!

The barrel nut didn't want to go on without a fight, and I freely admit the wrench I made at the shop failed miserably, so I had to wait another agonizing week for a proper wrench from Bushmaster.

While I was waiting on that, I decided to give Brownell's GunKote a whack. It's a fair bit glossier than the upper, which is not a huge deal to me, but I think in the future, I may try my hand at a lil' wet-sanding to dull the sheen a bit. Otherwise, it's great stuff, and simple as pie to use.

Now in case you're wondering, if you can legally own a firearm, then you can legally make your own, so long as you don't sell it, or give it away. Also, there is NO serial number required, though I did add "US 1776" as my serial number. In any case, it's off the books, which is just how I like it.

I added a vertical foregrip and intend to get an EOTech or Aimpoint next spring. I may upgrade the stock to a nicer Magpul version later on. I'm using a 16" 5.56 barrel from Model 1 with a 1:9 twist. I also ordered the bolt carrier group from them.

In all, the rifle cost me $830, not including the mags. I won't be able to fire it until tomorrow or the next day, but it passes every non-firing test I can think of. The real test will be this weekend.

Even though I haven't even fired this rifle yet, let alone any AR-15 in my life, I'm already thinking of the next one! I blame all of you guys for that, and I thank you for it, too!

Pics are in the following threads. Enjoy.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #2

Programming with Mastercam X.

The raw 7075 forgings.

Various fixture plates and vise jaws used to hold the lowers for the 6 operations it took to make them.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #3

The first op. Yes, the setup is a bit of hackjob, but I didn't feel like taking out the vise.

Yay! My first completed lower!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #4

Another view.

Partially-assembled with my stock and my co-worker's handgrip.

Another view of the same.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #5

PRO TIP: Don't drop the hammer on the bolt catch.

The shape of things to come.

Engraving. There is an outline of The United State, and above it, it reads: "Live Free Or Die."

Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #6

This is prior to getting the gas tube and foregrip installed. The camera flash makes the mismatch between the upper and lower look much worse.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Looks Nice

Well Done

Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

WOW!!!

You have taken the concept of building your own AR to a new level! Great job, and please let us know how it shoots.

TXnorton