Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Finally ready (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/finally-ready-78471/)

aandabooks 12-14-2012 10:27 PM

Finally ready

Was at the LGS today and I've been thinking about an AR for the past couple months. Don't really want one but don't want to get shut out either. With all the political retoric coming out of our retarded governor here in Il and the stuff on the national level. Mainly the ammo cost is the bummer. But I could put a good optic on it and use it for coyote.

My LGS has a few options that I would be willing to pay for. BTW, this will be coming out of my silver hoard. I don't have the expendable cash at the moment but it will represent profit taking on the silver side. Here are the options:

S&W M&P 15-no quad rail, pop-up rear sight, .223 $800
Colt LE6920-$1000
Two different RRA-$1000 and $1080

He has a lot more but every move up represents more ozs of silver. He even has the new S&W in .300 Whisper and all camo'd. Right on $1000. Would be even more to shoot.

What should I get or just hold off and don't worry about buying an AR anytime soon?

mountainman13 12-14-2012 10:36 PM

Buy the best you can afford while you still can. The value of the AR will go up a hell of a lot faster than the silver.

Quentin 12-14-2012 10:39 PM

Normally I'd say widen the field but then I wouldn't put off an AR too long. Especially after the horrible shooting today.

Of those, I'd feel very good choosing the Colt 6920, especially if it's in stock at that price.

aandabooks 12-14-2012 10:43 PM

That is part of what is leading me to this. The silver forecast for next year is only a few more $$$ than right now. I stacked a lot of bullion over the summer when silver was in the $26-27 range.

This gun won't be getting thousands of rounds. I have a S&W M&P 15-22 for practicing with an AR firearm. Do uppers switch out on all of these firearms and if not which ones?

Quentin 12-15-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1051807)
.... I have a S&W M&P 15-22 for practicing with an AR firearm. Do uppers switch out on all of these firearms and if not which ones?

True milspec AR uppers and lowers generally are interchangeable. There are exceptions, such as large pins which aren't milspec. The M&P15-22 isn't milspec of course so it won't swap receivers with a real AR.

aandabooks 12-15-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1051996)
True milspec AR uppers and lowers generally are interchangeable. There are exceptions, such as large pins which aren't milspec. The M&P15-22 isn't milspec of course so it won't swap receivers with a real AR.

Not from the 15-22 to centerfire. I have researched that. I mean of the 3 guns on my list above.

Quentin 12-15-2012 02:05 AM

They should interchange.

aandabooks 12-16-2012 06:08 PM

I have physically taken enough bullion out of my stack to atleast buy the S&W tomorrow. Barring silver doing something crazy. What would be the arguement for pulling out a few more ozs and going for the Colt or RRA?

j4454 12-16-2012 06:15 PM

Colt is worth the cash. It's mil spec and its a colt. I have a colt and bcm. For my money bcm is dollar for dollar unbeatable. With that said if your not into ARs and just want a range gun m&p will do

eric1229 12-17-2012 03:25 AM

I have the colt le6920 and love it man. Great gun, accurate outta the box plus it's a colt so it will hold good value. One good thing about colt is the barrels and bolt carrier group are mpi, some of the other companies just do batch testing. Colt has been in the ar game for a long long time so they know wut works. Plus it's stamped with colt, they are considered to many many people as the standard in ars. The le6920 m4 carbine is considered the closest firearm to a true military m4 that a civilian can get. Good choice, u won't be disappointed brother.