Finally got to shoot my new BCM!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Finally got to shoot my new BCM!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Finally got to shoot my new BCM!

It's a 16" middy with hammer forged barrel. Here's a picture when it had the sightmark but that was returned so I just used the troy battle sights and zeroed at 50yards.

Edit- ugh! I don't know why photobucket still rotates the image after I edit it, sorry, seems to be an issue with iphone pics.

From the very first shot I was like and then and more of

It cycled smooth and just felt great!!! Recoil is minimal and the muzzle is back on target very quickly. I think the Daniel Defense Superior Suppression Device may have helped with this as they note reduced muzzle rise on their website. For reference my AR15 experience previous to this was limited to carbine length with standard A2 flash hiders.

Put about 250 rounds of Federal Lake City 5.56 62gr XM855 and 50 rounds of Remington 55gr .223 without a hickup.

I noticed the ejected casings are hitting the deflector- what's causing this and should I adjust the buffer to get them ejecting closer to 3:00?

Here are two pictures, first after the 300 rounds, then after cleaning (the deflector only, didn't clean the BCG yet in that shot). You can see that after cleaning there's a small spot where the coating is worn through already with only 300 rounds. Based on location of that spot it makes me think the ejection is very far back like 5:00-6:00.

Overall- love this rifle!!! Thanks again to everyone here for sharing your experience and providing guidance to us noobs. I'm very happy with the choices I made for my first AR.

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 10-01-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Send bcm an email describing the problem you will get an answer prolly within the hour

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Send bcm an email describing the problem you will get an answer prolly within the hour
Good idea Jon thanks.

I did some searching and there seems to be a debate as to if this is normal / acceptable so I guess that was part of my question- is this even a problem?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Its not a real issue but it should be chucking em out at 3 oclock. It could be ammo. Have you modded the gun or have the black oring under the extractor??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its not a real issue but it should be chucking em out at 3 oclock. It could be ammo. Have you modded the gun or have the black oring under the extractor??
Have not modded the gun. It's BCM FA BCG without the o-ring. Should I put the o-ring in?

What about the ammo would cause this?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
Have not modded the gun. It's BCM FA BCG without the o-ring. Should I put the o-ring in?

What about the ammo would cause this?
Try the insert if it came with the rifle. I think hotter ammo can cause that. But its something that bcm can fix, the turn around is lightning fast if they have you send it in. I sent mine in because i had a bad lever installed turn around was right at 5 days till i had it back.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

I wouldn't put the O-ring in, you're getting positive extraction already. Funny, my BCM kicks the casings back about 4:30 and dings up the deflector too. I've got the BCM BCG and their H2 buffer. My DD ejects more toward 3:00 and not as much wear on the deflector. It has the DD M16 BCG and BCM H buffer. Both are 16" middys. I shoot some at the indoor range so get to keep more brass when it comes back at 4-5.

Yep, that's the Anchor Harvey receiver and should be good to go. Glad to hear your BCM is working out for you!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Like minds don't always think alike!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Oh btw my bcm and my wifes both middies kick it out 3oclock. My precision rifle with bcm carrier krieger barrel and rainier ultramatch upper hits 3:30

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So would a heavier buffer move the ejection forward?