Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Filp up sites

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Filp up sites

I just received my adams arms 14.5 in mid tactical and want to shoot it as soon as possible but can't quite afford optics at least for the next few weeks so I'm looking to buy some flip up sites and wanted to see what you guys thought would be best to mount on the gas block

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have a set of Troys and absolutely love them. My rear is the DiOptic and my front is a HK style

Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
I have a set of Troys and absolutely love them. My rear is the DiOptic and my front is a HK style
Are they alloy? I don't want to get the magpul gen 2 cause they are polymer and I'm not sure if its a good idea to attach something like that to my gas block even though its a piston gun I'm still new to this so any help would good help

Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff

Are they alloy? I don't want to get the magpul gen 2 cause they are polymer and I'm not sure if its a good idea to attach something like that to my gas block even though its a piston gun I'm still new to this so any help would good help
Yeah they're metal. They have two types, one for gas blocks and one for rails like mine is on. Also just as a heads up, they aren't cheap. About 200 bucks or so for both of them depending on where you find them

Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
I just bought and installed the Troy battle sites also. I absolutely love them too. Here is a thread I started and used to help me decide which to buy:

Folding Sights: What do you use?

Search for that title in this forum.

Regarding Magpul, I have seen them referenced over and over about wing lighter and rock solid with no issues.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My next build with be a pinned 14.5 " barreled upper and with a focus on being light for close quarters shooting and I am intending to use Magpul as backup irons with a red dot

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Liked 1002 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff View Post
I just received my adams arms 14.5 in mid tactical and want to shoot it as soon as possible but can't quite afford optics at least for the next few weeks so I'm looking to buy some flip up sites and wanted to see what you guys thought would be best to mount on the gas block
A TruGlo red dot can be had for under $50 and will work great for plinking. These are designed to use on shotguns, so they certainly can handle AR 15 recoil. I run two TG red dots, one on a AR15, the other on a Mossy 715t 22lr.

The red dot is a heck of lot easier on my 50+ year old eyes.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

my AR has the Magpul MBUS rear sight on it with a standard ml-sped FSB. works great, and folds down flat so it can stay on the receiver after the optic is installed, giving you the "iron sight back" up incase anything happens to your optic. --even though the MBUS is plastic.

cost was about $50 for the rear. If you need the front, I think they are about $30. I'm happy with the quality of my rear flip up. it's very solid feeling, and as far as I can tell, zero hasn't moved at all despite the fact that it folds down out of the way. at 100 yards, the slightest change of position of the sights could move your POI an inch or more. mine hasn't shifted.

(but it's also not a duty rifle, so I can't comment on the longevity/quality of the MBUS sights on something that's carried every day and sees rough duty. mine is just a 'weekend toy')

Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguardkliff View Post
Is your gas block standard rail height? Is it the same height as your flat top receiver? If isn't the same height you need a front sight that's made specific for a gas block rail. Here are some options for you:

Gas block height:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/gas-block-front-flip-sight-prod21358.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-front-sights-prod26112.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-m16-fiber-optic-front-gas-block-sight-prod27471.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

Rail height sets I prefer:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-sets/ar-15-m16-mbus-gen-2-sight-system-prod44044.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-sets/ar-15-m16-folding-polymer-sight-set-prod44430.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4
Certified GLOCK Armorer
Your friendly neighborhood arms dealer.
What do I know? I'm only a professional.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #10

While the Magpuls are great, especially for being polymer and I hate to use the word but cheap, if he installed the front on his gas block like he said, the sight would end up melting due to the gas block getting hot (at least on the DI system)

To the OP, also look at Matech rear folding sights. They're very nice and are adjustable to I believe 600 yards